Shop Tour Part 1
Well, since we have some extra time on our hands here lately, thought I’d give you guys a glimpse into my shop.  I enjoy seeing other shops and getting ideas from how others operate in their work spaces.  Usually when you guys post photos of your projects and work in progress, I’m always looking around in the background of your photos to see how your setups are and any cool tools you have.

So without further ado, here is what my shop looks like….

27’ x 26’ in two bays of our three bay garage.  My wife said she had to have a bay to park her car in and the rest was mine!  So I put up a wall between the shop and her bay so it stays clean and dust free.  Ceilings are 10’

Just recently installed 13 – 8’ Barrina LED lights from Amazon.  Got to say, I’m pretty impressed with these lights and at around $22 each, you can’t beat them.

The shop is also conditioned which is certainly nice in the winter!

Walking into the shop from her bay, there is a 4’ wide solid core birch door that I cut in a vision lite in.  It was left over from one of my commercial projects years ago so a free door and frame is nice!  Heck, it’s even 2 hour fire rated!  Well, it was until I cut the vision lite in it!

Overview of the shop as you walk in

East wall is where I keep the essentials to assemble and lay out projects.  Clamps are all right at arm’s length to grab and put away, peg board keeps tools that I use quite often ready to grab and the cabinets hold a multitude of items such as layout tools, drilling accessories, pencils, note pads and one drawer is a file drawer where I keep records of projects.  All tool manuals are kept in three ring binders you see in the top of the wall cabinet.  Alphabetically in order so easy to find a manual if I need it.  Of course the utility sink is almost a necessity in a shop and the fridge is a nice bonus!  Further on down is a short wall I built to store Festool tracks and long rules, levels and such.  On the other side of that is the compressor and DC

MFT style work table on the Rockler mobile base.  Festool vacuum clamping system at the ready when batching a lot of panel parts.

Hand tool cabinet.  Hand tool bench is in progress….

Unisaw with Excalibur overarm guard, but replaced with a Shark Guard hood.  Much better than the stock hood

Custom made outfeed table.  2 ½ thick solid top with laminate (same color that Incra uses for their laminate, just because)  Router table built in and threaded inserts installed in the top to attach the Incra fence when I need it.  Crosscut sleds sit in the shelves ready to go when I need them.

Grizzly oscillating sander, PM 3520b lathe, sharpening station and PM disc/belt sander sit back in the northwest corner of the shop.  Overhead storage above the lathe for miscellaneous wood for turning and what not.  The clear curtain you see is when I’m doing a lot of turning I can close this area off and keep shavings confined to that small 10 x 10 area and not have to clean a lot mess up around the table saw and such.  If you can spy the pile of maple on the floor behind the oscillating sander, that’s the future Roubo bench with Benchcrafted vises in the works.

Yes, I’m motocross fan and I used to race back in the 90’s.

Grizzly ultimate 19” band saw

Well that is Part 1.  Says I've reached my 10 picture limit.  Part 2 coming up.....
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Very nice.  It looks like you got all the basics covered and you are able to keep it so clean.  It looks like a great place to work (or to hang out and appear to be working).
(04-04-2020, 09:03 PM)KLaz Wrote: Well, since we have some extra time on our hands here lately, thought I’d give you guys a glimpse into my shop.  I enjoy seeing other shops and getting ideas from how others operate in their work spaces.  Usually when you guys post photos of your projects and work in progress, I’m always looking around in the background of your photos to see how your setups are and any cool tools you have.

So without further ado, here is what my shop looks like….

27’ x 26’ in two bays of our three bay garage.  My wife said she had to have a bay to park her car in and the rest was mine!  So I put up a wall between the shop and her bay so it stays clean and dust free.  Ceilings are 10’

Just recently installed 13 – 8’ Barrina LED lights from Amazon.  Got to say, I’m pretty impressed with these lights and at around $22 each, you can’t beat them.

The shop is also conditioned which is certainly nice in the winter!

Walking into the shop from her bay, there is a 4’ wide solid core birch door that I cut in a vision lite in.  It was left over from one of my commercial projects years ago so a free door and frame is nice!  Heck, it’s even 2 hour fire rated!  Well, it was until I cut the vision lite in it!

Overview of the shop as you walk in

East wall is where I keep the essentials to assemble and lay out projects.  Clamps are all right at arm’s length to grab and put away, peg board keeps tools that I use quite often ready to grab and the cabinets hold a multitude of items such as layout tools, drilling accessories, pencils, note pads and one drawer is a file drawer where I keep records of projects.  All tool manuals are kept in three ring binders you see in the top of the wall cabinet.  Alphabetically in order so easy to find a manual if I need it.  Of course the utility sink is almost a necessity in a shop and the fridge is a nice bonus!  Further on down is a short wall I built to store Festool tracks and long rules, levels and such.  On the other side of that is the compressor and DC

MFT style work table on the Rockler mobile base.  Festool vacuum clamping system at the ready when batching a lot of panel parts.

Hand tool cabinet.  Hand tool bench is in progress….

Unisaw with Excalibur overarm guard, but replaced with a Shark Guard hood.  Much better than the stock hood

Custom made outfeed table.  2 ½ thick solid top with laminate (same color that Incra uses for their laminate, just because)  Router table built in and threaded inserts installed in the top to attach the Incra fence when I need it.  Crosscut sleds sit in the shelves ready to go when I need them.

Grizzly oscillating sander, PM 3520b lathe, sharpening station and PM disc/belt sander sit back in the northwest corner of the shop.  Overhead storage above the lathe for miscellaneous wood for turning and what not.  The clear curtain you see is when I’m doing a lot of turning I can close this area off and keep shavings confined to that small 10 x 10 area and not have to clean a lot mess up around the table saw and such.  If you can spy the pile of maple on the floor behind the oscillating sander, that’s the future Roubo bench with Benchcrafted vises in the works.

Yes, I’m motocross fan and I used to race back in the 90’s.

Grizzly ultimate 19” band saw

Well that is Part 1.  Says I've reached my 10 picture limit.  Part 2 coming up.....
Very nice shop. Your OCD surpases mine

Jim
I want to say that's an awesome shop and YOU STINK at the same time...in all friendliness of course
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
That is one nice shop! I'm amazed you got all that shop in 2 two car garage.
It even looks like you still have plenty of room as well.

I have a 3 car garage and two bays (about the same as your space) are dedicated to woodworking, less space for reloading stuff and I couldn't begin to get as much as you have in my shop space. I have a cabinet saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, lathe, mortiser, mitre saw, free standing workbench, wall workbench, three rolling tool cabinets, a router table, spindle sander, shop vac, scrap bin, wall full of clamps, two built in cabinets and no room for other tools on my wish list.
Beautiful shop, very inspiring! 

Cool
Cool
Cool
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Very nice shop! Layout looks great.

How do you like having your router built into your out feed table?

I've often thought about doing that with my out feed to help save shop space plus, it's such big area it would lend lots of material support for larger pieces.

I'd be curious to see what your pro's and con's are.

looking forward to part 2.
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
(04-30-2020, 09:28 PM)2beast Wrote: Beautiful shop, very inspiring! 

Cool
Cool
Cool

You kidding, right?

It's the opposite of inspiring. Very depressing to look at those pictures......once I realized I needed to wait for my next life to have a shop like that!
Laugh 

Simon
Nice looking shop! Also makes me very aware to NEVER post pictures of mine! LOL
Dave

Thanks for the shop tour. Really enjoy seeing how other members setup their work areas.

I’d love to see more shop tours on the forum. Even the small ones. Those exhibit creative ideas to make things fit and make the space necessary to work.
John