Shop Tour Part 2
(04-05-2020, 09:38 AM)Dan Moening Wrote: Certainly appears to be very well organized, given the space. Lots of machines packed into that space.

Tell us more about:

Chop saw station. I see that it is almost fully enclosed (for dust collection I presume) with dedicated Fein/Dust Deputy below.

Festool CT dust extraction with Dust Deputy. Does this have the Festool Cyclone systainer, or a shop made collection top?
So the CT dust extractor just has Oneida's Ultimate Dust Deputy.  I use this one for sanders, Domino and vacuuming dust off of pieces ready to be finished 

Miter station dust collection is always a tough one.  Mine isn't bad, but not perfect.  The panels on either side of the saw slide in aluminum channels.  When moving the saw left or right or on a bevel, I need to open one or the other to get the saw to clear.

You can see the hose off of the top of the saw.  That one goes down to the Fein/Cyclone combo.  It turns on automatically when I turn on the saw.  The larger port in the left rear goes to the main dust collector.  I really only use it when I'm having to process a lot of material.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Just your dust collection must have cost a small fortune.  Maybe more then all of my tools combined.  Well done of them tho.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is one awesome shop.  Thanks for the tour.  I'm on about my 3rd iteration and I can see more changes if I ever get a CNC or a slider.   

John
Kris, thanks so much for posting this. I am between shops and so, of course, spend a lot of time working on layouts, duct runs, machine positions, work flow and so forth. Your planer to sander orientation solved something I have been percolating on for some time. Thanks again for that. As to the rest, you show a lot of ingenuity and thought as to how to get the most out of your space. Well done.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Those are the nicest looking cabinets I have ever seen in a shop. Mine are made of fir ply unfinished. Makes me feel cheap and humbled
(04-07-2020, 01:19 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Kris, thanks so much for posting this. I am between shops and so, of course, spend a lot of time working on layouts, duct runs, machine positions, work flow and so forth.  Your planer to sander orientation solved something I have been percolating on for some time.  Thanks again for that.  As to the rest, you show a lot of ingenuity and thought as to how to get the most out of your space.  Well done.

Here is the layout.  Forgot to post this in the original post....

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Thanks everyone for the all the positive comments!

I started out purchasing a Bosch jig saw as my first "woodworking" tool back in 1998.  Along with a Black and Decker Saw Cat circular saw and two B&D drills my dad gave me, that was my start down the slippery slope of woodworking.

A LOT of side jobs started from those tools and I just kept banking that money along the way and purchasing what I needed for each project.  Been very fortunate over the years and been blessed to have the things I do.  Worked for every penny that went into these tools.

Heck I remember having my wife with me at 3 AM installing cabinets at a YMCA in Kentucky years ago.  Man, I put in the hours back in those days.

Now at 47 years old, I only take on side projects if it is of interest to me.  I no longer take on the mundane projects anymore.  

Thanks again!

Kris
(04-07-2020, 03:44 PM)KLaz Wrote: Thanks everyone for the all the positive comments!

I started out purchasing a Bosch jig saw as my first "woodworking" tool back in 1998.  Along with a Black and Decker Saw Cat circular saw and two B&D drills my dad gave me, that was my start down the slippery slope of woodworking.

A LOT of side jobs started from those tools and I just kept banking that money along the way and purchasing what I needed for each project.  Been very fortunate over the years and been blessed to have the things I do.  Worked for every penny that went into these tools.

Heck I remember having my wife with me at 3 AM installing cabinets at a YMCA in Kentucky years ago.  Man, I put in the hours back in those days.

Now at 47 years old, I only take on side projects if it is of interest to me.  I no longer take on the mundane projects anymore.  

Thanks again!

Kris

Sorry Klas - but your shop is WAY to clean! - Where is the sawdust!!
(04-12-2020, 12:30 AM)Don_M Wrote: Sorry Klas - but your shop is WAY to clean! - Where is the sawdust!!

I dunno, the other Karl (comments on this around minute 1) makes a lot more saw dust and insists on things being clean and organized ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(04-12-2020, 12:30 AM)Don_M Wrote: Sorry Klas - but your shop is WAY to clean! - Where is the sawdust!!

Haha!  Well Don, this "photo shoot" was one of those rare times when I spend half a day cleaning, putting things away and then hurry and shoot pics before I start working in there again!

I'm in the process of framing, insulating and drywalling a room upstairs in our house currently, so if I showed pics of the shop right now, you'd be surprised I even owned a broom....
Laugh
Laugh
Big Grin