Drawer front installation
(04-05-2020, 11:55 AM)museumguy Wrote: What we used to do, drill for the hardware before installing the fronts. Use a pocket hole screw with a small head to temporarily attach the front. Open the drawer and attach it from the inside with appropriate screws.
This ^^
(04-05-2020, 11:55 AM)museumguy Wrote: What we used to do, drill for the hardware before installing the fronts. Use a pocket hole screw with a small head to temporarily attach the front. Open the drawer and attach it from the inside with appropriate screws.

Where exactly do you put the pocket screws? Can I get a pic?
(04-11-2020, 08:37 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Where exactly do you put the pocket screws? Can I get a pic?

I don't have a picture but I can try to explain what I think he was suggesting.

You pre-drill the drawer front with the two holes for the pull.  The drawer front only - not the drawer box.  You can also pre-drill the drawer box with the holes that you will use to permanently attach the drawer front to the drawer box.  Someone here showed a nice way to do it with an angled screw but if you drill a straight hole make sure you leave enough room for the drill head to drive the screws from inside the drawer box.  In other words stay away from the corners or you will have a hard time driving the screws.

Now after you have that all set up you can put the drawer box in place and the line up the drawer front using shims or wedges or spacers (whatever you like).  Now that everything is lined up and in place you can drive two screws from the outside through the holes where the drawer pull is going to be mounted.  This will temporarily hold the drawer front to the drawer box so you can now remove the assembly and put the permanent screws in from the inside of the drawer box.  Once the permanent screws are in place you can take the two temporary ones out and complete the drilling of the drawer pull mounting holes through the drawer box.

Hopefully that makes sense
(04-11-2020, 12:14 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I don't have a picture but I can try to explain what I think he was suggesting.

You pre-drill the drawer front with the two holes for the pull.  The drawer front only - not the drawer box.  You can also pre-drill the drawer box with the holes that you will use to permanently attach the drawer front to the drawer box.  Someone here showed a nice way to do it with an angled screw but if you drill a straight hole make sure you leave enough room for the drill head to drive the screws from inside the drawer box.  In other words stay away from the corners or you will have a hard time driving the screws.

Now after you have that all set up you can put the drawer box in place and the line up the drawer front using shims or wedges or spacers (whatever you like).  Now that everything is lined up and in place you can drive two screws from the outside through the holes where the drawer pull is going to be mounted.  This will temporarily hold the drawer front to the drawer box so you can now remove the assembly and put the permanent screws in from the inside of the drawer box.  Once the permanent screws are in place you can take the two temporary ones out and complete the drilling of the drawer pull mounting holes through the drawer box.

Hopefully that makes sense

Okay Museumguy & Brent;
You might have heard a loud poppy noise from SW Mo. That was me removing my head from a part of my anatomy. Now I got it. I usually use double sided tape, once the front is stuck to the box where I want it I attach the front to the box with screws. Then drill a small holes all the way through the front and box. Remove the front from the box and drill the appropriate size holes and then reattach the front using the same screw holes. I know this involves several steps but it has worked for me for years. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap.
(04-11-2020, 08:37 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Where exactly do you put the pocket screws? Can I get a pic?

I wish that I could but I no longer work there. It's exactly as BrentDH described. Even if you are just using a knob with a single hole, it will work.

Hope this helps and thanks for all of the suggestions.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry