Painters Triangles
I have a number of the plastic pyramids and have used them frequently with no ill effects. I have even made a bunch similar pyramids about the same size out of scrap hardwood . I guess I have never used them with anything heavy enough to cause the dimples you mention. Another thing you might try is to make a set of hardwood support sticks with a triangular cross section. These would distribute the load over a long edge rather than points and, hopefully, not cause any damage.
(04-05-2020, 04:08 PM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: My favorite thing right now is scrap plywood squares as a base, drywall screw partially screwed in, rounded hardwood plug with the dome part waxed and the flat part glued to the drywall screw head. Easy and cheap to make, almost no chance of denting the workpiece, with the waxed domes they won't stick to it, either.

For something long and narrow, you could just use a long piece of scrap and stagger the drywall screws.

3/8" diameter dowels with a blunt point done with a pencil sharpener. Dowels pressed in scrap wood.
(04-05-2020, 03:42 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Is there some type of equivalent product for long narrow pieces? 

I use scrap plywood ripped at an angle and then screwed perpendicular to another piece of scrap. The sharp edge easily supports the piece being finished...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."