Belt Sander
Looking for recommendations on a hand held belt sander. I have tried the smaller of the portercable belt sanders but didnt love it. I see triton makes one and wondering how they are. Thank you.
(04-05-2020, 04:03 PM)mike9 Wrote: Looking for recommendations on a hand held belt sander. I have tried the smaller of the portercable belt sanders but didnt love it. I see triton makes one and wondering how they are. Thank you.

I can't help with what to buy as I've not been in the market for over a decade, but I wouldn't touch anything made by PC; quality has been totally diluted from what it was.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Going to have to go used for a good belt sander.

Older Porter Cable or Milwaukee.

Ed
I was looking to get one as well and my search narrowed down to the Makita 9404. I wanted a Bosch since they made a sanding frame that makes doing large panels very easy but they don't make belt sanders any more. Makita makes a sanding shoe for the 9404 but it doesn't appear as well designed as the Bosch.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Hi Mike

I have an old Craftsman 4 x 21 belt sander that hasn't been used, but needs a part. The model is 315.117920 The broken part is an S hook part # 998067-001 (#52 in schematic). The S hook was very rigid like a spring steel, and snaped while trying to get it thru a hole. . I ordered the part from sears many years ago, and they sent the wrong part and then told me they didn't have what I needed. The S hook is part of the tracking system connecting the front roller to the tracking adjustment knob. It might be possible to rig the tracking in a different maner.

If you want to try to repair it, you can have it.

Karl
My .02
Karl

(04-06-2020, 08:43 AM)SteveS Wrote: I was looking to get one as well and my search narrowed down to the Makita 9404.

I was lucky enough to pick one of these (or its predecessor model) up at an estate sale about 15 years ago; excellent machine.  Don't use it often, but when I do its a pleasure to use.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a Dewalt belt sander, 433 I think, and the relatively obscure Dewalt sanding frame, which turns it into a small, really crappy stationary sander. I haven't pulled it out of it's box since I got my Rigid stationary belt and spindle sander. I haven't had a lot of need for a belt sander over the years to begin with, and don't have a lot of experience with other brands, but my hope is that my Dewalt is the worst of what's out there, and not the best. Biggest issue is that it doesn't track very well, and eats the ends of the belts on the rare occasions I have to use it.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(04-05-2020, 04:03 PM)mike9 Wrote: Looking for recommendations on a hand held belt sander. I have tried the smaller of the portercable belt sanders but didnt love it. I see triton makes one and wondering how they are. Thank you.

What are you using for mostly?

What I think is good for one handed scribing work wouldn't be very good for flatten panels or slabs all day.   One should be small light with a good grip and the other big and heavy.  DO you need a fence or a frame ?  That will limit your choice as a lot of models don't have that option.

Generally regarded as the best belt sander in Europe for half a century or so is the Holz-Her 2410 & 2420.  It has been made under various liveries over the years including AEG, Bosch, Metabo, Festool, and Freud.  Never really seemed to catch on in the States.
I have a Makita  3x18(9911) and a 4x24(9404) and love them both.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"