Inexpensive Saws
(04-06-2020, 12:35 PM)Admiral Wrote: I've seen some non-hardened handsaws at the HF as well with very clunky handles.  As long as they use high carbon spring steel, and the Rc of the steel is somewhere around 50, +/-, it will hold an edge and be able to be sharpened.  

How can you determine what kind of steel, and what hardness? 

HF=Harbor Freight?

What's my best bet for learning hand-cut dovetails on the cheap? Like $10-$20?
(04-07-2020, 04:51 AM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: How can you determine what kind of steel, and what hardness? 

HF=Harbor Freight?

What's my best bet for learning hand-cut dovetails on the cheap? Like $10-$20?

robin a cheap saw that would work is a hacksaw.   jerry
While not technically a new saw, it is not a typical vintage one either. I bought this Disston Keystone K1 backsaw because it was in unusually good condition, despite the chunky handle. With a bit of time on my hands recently, I tackled that issue with a homebrewed Ugly Handsaw Make-Over Project. Starting with a photocopy of the handle, I doodled until the sketch showed a more pleasing form, after which I went to work with a rasp and file. The end result was a saw that looked more like a vintage saw and felt good in the hand. And, because I sharpened the teeth, it performed much like a vintage saw. The cost? $20 for a saw that many turn up their noses at and a few hours of my time.

The starting point:

Final shape:

The beech was dyed with ferrous acetate (vinegar and steel wool) and finished with amber shellac:

It even has a lamb's tongue

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(04-07-2020, 05:59 AM)jerry s Wrote: robin a cheap saw that would work is a hacksaw.   jerry

Fair enough. I spose I should pick up some fresh blades.
Enjuneer's rework is an inspiration!
Chris
Beautiful work, as usual Bob!
Smile

Doug
Very nicely done Bob - beautiful lamb's tail. Careful or you'll get Ron, Issac and Klaus all jealous.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(04-07-2020, 03:45 PM)cputnam Wrote: Very nicely done Bob - beautiful lamb's tail.  Careful or you'll get Ron, Issac and Klaus all jealous.

Thanks! I've been studying the work of these gentlemen for years. They are good teachers.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(04-06-2020, 08:14 PM)cputnam Wrote: Darn, my legendary typing skills strike again.  Meant to type Backsaw (as in 12+ TPI)

Yeah, sharpening hacksaw blades would require a level of OCD that I doubt even you possess.
A few years ago I did an experiment and compared speed and quality of cut between a Stanley Fat Max, Wenzloff full size rip, and a Japanese Ryoba (rip side).

Speed (from quickest to slowest): Stanley, Wenzloff, Ryoba
Quality of cut (from best to worst): Ryoba, Wenzloff, Stanley

The Stanley was by far the quickest in speed.
The Wenzloff was pretty close to the Ryoba in quality of cut. Fat Max was by far the worst quality of cut.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill