What sticks to wipe on poly?
Well, that was dumb. I put finish (wipe-on poly) on the inside of a pear box before I glued it up. I meant to leave it unfinished for now -- I need to glue some thin pieces of wood to the inside. Do I still have a chance? What type of glue would adhere wood to poly? I only put on 1 coat so far, and could sand if need be.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-05-2020, 09:21 PM)Aram Wrote: Well, that was dumb. I put finish (wipe-on poly) on the inside of a pear box before I glued it up. I meant to leave it unfinished for now -- I need to glue some thin pieces of wood to the inside. Do I still have a chance? What type of glue would adhere wood to poly? I only put on 1 coat so far, and could sand if need be.

Thanks.

For most of the brands of Poly that are wipe on, one quick fix would be to just tape carefully, and lightly wipe acetone on the part you want to glue.

(Most of the wipe on poly is not that resistant to acetone, although a lot of good 2k poly would be)
(04-05-2020, 09:21 PM)Aram Wrote: Well, that was dumb. I put finish (wipe-on poly) on the inside of a pear box before I glued it up. I meant to leave it unfinished for now -- I need to glue some thin pieces of wood to the inside. Do I still have a chance? What type of glue would adhere wood to poly? I only put on 1 coat so far, and could sand if need be.

Thanks.
One coat of wipe on poly is very thin.  It shouldn't be that hard to sand or scrape with a chisel.  You don't need to get off every trace, just enough for the wood to stick.
(04-06-2020, 08:26 AM)rschissler Wrote: One coat of wipe on poly is very thin.  It shouldn't be that hard to sand or scrape with a chisel.  You don't need to get off every trace, just enough for the wood to stick.

Thanks. I was thinking this too I'll give it a shot.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(04-06-2020, 08:26 AM)rschissler Wrote: One coat of wipe on poly is very thin.  It shouldn't be that hard to sand or scrape with a chisel.  You don't need to get off every trace, just enough for the wood to stick.

Did, and it seemed to work
Best,
Aram, always learning