Exterior Shutters
My wife volunteered me to make and replace two sets of window shutters for some older friends.  The shutters were old and already in bad shape before a tree limb wiped one of them off the side of their house last Fall.  

[Image: 3GrZ_OsbLWDU8IRAfEnR6tD48TE5nPWsiIiRPY4d...13-h626-no]

The old ones were well made but time had taken it's toll.  I made new ones using white pine for the frames and MDO for the panels.  I used Gorilla Glue to glue up the frames, and added SS pocket screws on the back side and plugged the holes. The panels are glued in as well, and then I caulked them to the frame all around on both sides.  I also soaked the end grain of the stiles with epoxy as well as the inside edges of the shamrock cutouts.  I painted them with SW Exterior Primer and Duration for the topcoats.  I'll never try to spray Duration again.  I've never seen paint that snotty, even after thinning it and adding Extender.  I'm sure it's possible with an airless but not with my pressure assisted HVLP set up.  

It was a beautiful morning today so I took the opportunity to install them.  I used the plastic shutter brackets from Ekena to mount the new shutters.  They sure seem flimsy; we'll see how they hold up.  The brackets are mounted to the brick with Tapcon screws and then the shutters are screwed to the brackets with SS Kreg screws.  Two hours start to finish for the 4 shutters which really surprised me.  It was a perfect job for maintaining social distancing; just me.  And the owners were very pleased with the improved looks of their house.  

[Image: buGDmhbCzw4Tk2dsIi7GU3yuTMJlHAJHUM8dMaxE...13-h626-no]

[Image: yocrTy5DIoSgSl0jRJT0eAcH4UOJf_XpTdmg9wS8...13-h626-no]

John
Shutters can sure make a house look complete and those are very nice shutters. 

How did you cut out the shamrocks?

I am going to make a new screen door for my house and I want to cut a design in it--I have not yet figured what it will be though.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Excellent job. I really like the well thought out plan of fabrication. End result is awesome.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-07-2020, 12:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: Shutters can sure make a house look complete and those are very nice shutters. 

How did you cut out the shamrocks?

I am going to make a new screen door for my house and I want to cut a design in it--I have not yet figured what it will be though.

Thanks very much, all.  I made a tracing of the shamrock, old school style with a piece of paper and rubbed a pencil over it.  From that I determined I could cut the three lobes with a Forstner bit.  Then I cut the stems with my scroll saw, which I hardly ever use but is just the right tool for that application.  Didn't take long at all to get them done.  

John
Great job John. Those look great. Good use of shop time and served your friends well too.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(04-07-2020, 12:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: My wife volunteered me to make and replace two sets of window shutters for some older friends.  The shutters were old and already in bad shape before a tree limb wiped one of them off the side of their house last Fall.  

[Image: 3GrZ_OsbLWDU8IRAfEnR6tD48TE5nPWsiIiRPY4d...13-h626-no]

The old ones were well made but time had taken it's toll.  I made new ones using white pine for the frames and MDO for the panels.  I used Gorilla Glue to glue up the frames, and added SS pocket screws on the back side and plugged the holes. The panels are glued in as well, and then I caulked them to the frame all around on both sides.  I also soaked the end grain of the stiles with epoxy as well as the inside edges of the shamrock cutouts.  I painted them with SW Exterior Primer and Duration for the topcoats.  I'll never try to spray Duration again.  I've never seen paint that snotty, even after thinning it and adding Extender.  I'm sure it's possible with an airless but not with my pressure assisted HVLP set up.  

It was a beautiful morning today so I took the opportunity to install them.  I used the plastic shutter brackets from Ekena to mount the new shutters.  They sure seem flimsy; we'll see how they hold up.  The brackets are mounted to the brick with Tapcon screws and then the shutters are screwed to the brackets with SS Kreg screws.  Two hours start to finish for the 4 shutters which really surprised me.  It was a perfect job for maintaining social distancing; just me.  And the owners were very pleased with the improved looks of their house.  

[Image: buGDmhbCzw4Tk2dsIi7GU3yuTMJlHAJHUM8dMaxE...13-h626-no]

[Image: yocrTy5DIoSgSl0jRJT0eAcH4UOJf_XpTdmg9wS8...13-h626-no]

John

Nice work John. I made shutters for an aunt years ago from white oak. Frame and panel construction with draw pegs instead of glue. 
Shutter hardware was wrought iron, cost more for hardware than the shutter itself cost. 
mike
Very nice John, well executed!
A nice job to complete during these times!

Gordon