Source for dewaxed orange shellac flakes?
I bought dewaxed, orange shellac flakes from Homestead years ago. I'm getting a little low. For a while I could not find any online. Now I see them on Highland, and something called "orange/amber" (no idea it that is close to orange) on Shellac.net. None showing at Homestead. No orange at TFWW.

Any reason to prefer one source over another? I like the tones of the Homestead flakes.

Also, out of curiosity, why the shortage?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I have 2 places I've used...both are very good, though WellerMart sells very small quantitis that others normally don't (no idea what the shipping would be). Anyway, the first is Shellac.net; the second I mentioned above is WellerMart.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-08-2020, 12:02 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have 2 places I've used...both are very good, though WellerMart sells very small quantitis that others normally don't (no idea what the shipping would be). Anyway, the first is Shellac.net; the second I mentioned above is WellerMart.

Thanks, Fred!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-08-2020, 12:02 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have 2 places I've used...both are very good, though WellerMart sells very small quantitis that others normally don't (no idea what the shipping would be). Anyway, the first is Shellac.net; the second I mentioned above is WellerMart.

+1 on WellerMart. Been very happy with them.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
+2 on WellerMart. Prompt shipping, and fast service. Once, I wanted to add something to my existing order and they got it done before the order shipped.
(04-08-2020, 06:53 PM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: +2 on WellerMart. Prompt shipping, and fast service. Once, I wanted to add something to my existing order and they got it done before the order shipped.

Fred hit the nail on the head.  Two excellent sources.

Lonnie
Another one I have used is shellacshack.
I have purchased dewaxed shellac flakes from Amazon.com several times. They have several brands, colors, and sizes available and prices appear to be as good or better than other sources. I'm no expert on judging quality but, I haven't had any problems with what I have purchased. Free shipping if you are a Prime member.
I use Sealcoat shellac with Transtint dye to make any color I want, and the cost is less.  Why buy flakes?  

John
(04-10-2020, 12:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I use Sealcoat shellac with Transtint dye to make any color I want, and the cost is less.  Why buy flakes?  

John

Actually, at $20 a quart, if you don't need a quart and you don't use it for 90 days, you are better off with flakes.  Flakes never go bad if you keep them in a refrigerator (I have some that are 12 years old, or older) and you always have fresh shellac.  You can also fine tune your cut for the job.  I gave up on Zinnzer a long time ago as it went bad rather quickly (things may have changed) and went to flakes, and never went back.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis