Facemasks from old HF dust collector bags
Scarves and bandana are better than nothing, so is a piece of paper.

Anyone who believes they will help in the fight of the COVID-19 can continue to believe so.

People in Taiwan, China, Singapore, etc. use (and still use) masks -- not face coverings -- to protect themselves. I trust their experience more than what comes out of WHO these days.

Several methods of making home-made masks that have been tested university or medical bodies to be a valid of line of defense circulated in Asia when it was hard hit. No, none of them use scarves or handkerchiefs. If I'm to make my own masks, I would google those methods, instead of listening to whatever is dumped onto the media.

Simon
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/...ore-reader

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
"Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection. (Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1–6)"

The study, 7 years old, would have been even more useful (helpful?) if it had been updated to also look into other homemade masks (not made out of T-shirts) and compare them to the commercial face masks (presumably surgical masks). The methods used by some of the Asian countries (Japan, Singapore?) to make homemade masks were found by their medical research bodies to be a better defense than fabrics. Of course, we also know COVID-19 is not like flu as some wanted us to believe so!.

Simon
N95 masks are equivalent to MIRV 13 filter material. 

You can easily find MIRV 10 - 11 furnace filters (Filtrete pleated filters).  I suppose you can take one apart and flatten it to make several masks. 

I looked on line to see if anyone was selling the actual fabric in rolls, and I did not find any, but I only looked at the first two  pages on the search.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ter+fabric

I don't see where H-F lists their MIRV rating.  Other vendors supply H-F compatible bags from MIRV 11 to MIRV 16.

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/...ollectors/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My wife has made about 120 masks so far.

Nursing homes have taken a lot. So did a radiologist down the street who took them to the hospital she works for.

Common practice In the hospital is the homemade masks are layered on top of an N 95 mask to make it last longer.

The nursing homes I think it’s just the homemade masks.

Mike
Using double masks (a regular mask over a N95) is now increasingly common among some hospital workers due to supply issues. We need to look at supply chains for critical items after this crisis. Countries that can afford it should start thinking about the future, and restart manufacturing deemed strategic for their national interests. This is not a step back from globalization, but a step towards reducing risks of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Just look at the chaos (farce?) of countries and states fighting for ventilators, PPE, etc that are mostly imported from Asia. Time to think about balancing between preserving your vital industries vs outsourcing for corporate profits.

Simon
(04-09-2020, 06:33 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: "People in Taiwan, China, Singapore, etc. use (and still use) masks -- not face coverings -- to protect themselves. I trust their experience more than what comes out of WHO these days. Simon"

Hey bub,

Keep trusting them............I don't trust them or the WHO..........Some people are so ignorant/delusional.........

Cheers,
Norm
(04-18-2020, 04:35 PM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Hey bub,

Keep trusting them............I don't trust them or the WHO..........Some people are so ignorant/delusional.........

Cheers,
Norm

Ignorant/delusional are those who trust face coverings over proper masks in protecting themselves. Which country is leading in BOTH the number of cases and the number of deaths?

The who is a joke.

Simon