What paint sprayer to get
I need to paint about 15 doors and a few hundred feet of trim.  

I am looking at two options:

1.  One of the Graco Truecoat products.  The ones where you refill the collapsible container that attaches to the gun

2.  The entry level Graco stand sprayer, specifically the Graco Magnum Project paint sprayer.  I can get the X5 sprayer refurbished for the same price...don't know how to feel about that.

Any thoughts?  

The Truecoat seems like it is much quicker to set up and clean but is heavier and needs to be refilled.  The stand sprayer doesn't need to be refilled, will be lighter in the hand, but is more difficult to set up and clean
I assume that you don't have or don't want to use a compressor? With a compressor, you will have many more options.
(04-09-2020, 04:40 PM)Willyou Wrote: I assume that you don't have or don't want to use a compressor? With a compressor, you will have many more options.

He is spraying water based so airless is the way to go. 

The graco corded and cordless get good praises from the pro commercial painters. They say they are great for small jobs and touchups. If you aren't going to be spraying upside down or other strange angles and just need it for this job and future home use take a look at the Avanti at Harbor Freight. It's $60 with a coupon and have heard and read good things about it. It is one of their new models.
Yep, want airless. I will look at the Avanti. Thanks
I can't help with a specific sprayer except to say I was very happy with a Graco Magnum that I got refurbished. I much preferred that to the little ones that you fill a cup that attaches to the gun. You go through paint quickly and that cup empties in a hurry

(04-09-2020, 06:25 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:           He is spraying water based so airless is the way to go. 

The graco corded and cordless get good praises from the pro commercial painters. They say they are great for small jobs and touchups. If you aren't going to be spraying upside down or other strange angles and just need it for this job and future home use take a look at the Avanti at Harbor Freight. It's $60 with a coupon and have heard and read good things about it. It is one of their new models.

Robert, is this the model you were talking about? Do you have any experience with it?

https://www.harborfreight.com/Handheld-H...Z4QAvD_BwE
A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.
Winston Churchill

History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men - Godzilla (BOC)

If your expectation is furniture quality you likely will be disappointed with that type of airless sprayer.  

John
(04-10-2020, 09:42 AM)Jim Tincher Wrote: Robert, is this the model you were talking about? Do you have any experience with it?

https://www.harborfreight.com/Handheld-H...Z4QAvD_BwE

That's the one. I haven't personally used it but our painter has one he uses in residential jobs and he is happy with it. Course that was in the before times. In the after times we are headed into there are no restaurant jobs to do anymore as they are all cancelled and most of them will never reopen...  He did say that he used a little floetrol to make it flow out a little easier.

I have a similar type unit and it works well but... The paint you use has allot to dictate the quality of the finish. My favorite paint is Marquee by Behr. It flows out extremely well even when brushed. The worst paint I have used was Valspar and the Valspar that ace hardware sells was pure utter garbage. It was so bad I gave it away and went and bought more marquee.  

I also have a cheapie HVLP type wagner gun I bought at a swapmeet for $20 like new. It works well for what it is but airless is allot less messy.
I bought a Graco trucoat and took it back after less than a half hour of use. Dreadful piece of equipment -- hard to fill, hard to clean, left runs, wasted tons of paint.

I have a Graco Magnum I bought used and I love it. Only complaint is that it has a long hose and it leaves lots of paint in the hose when I finish but I've learned to work around that.

Puts lot of paint out quickly and I can control for a smooth finish.

No questions -- Magnum sprayers are serious; Truecoat is a toy.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Video 
I have the x5. It is a beast. I only use it for big jobs. You can paint a normal garage in less than an hour. It is a bit tough to clean and cleaning is important.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.