BLO and Deft Lacquer
I'm looking for an oil type of finish, with durability. Can boiled linseed oil be topcoated with Deft lacquer? How will the durability be? Am I better off with a mixture of BLO, with varnish and mineral spirits?

Thanks!

T
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-10-2020, 02:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.

Thanks Fred. I'm finishing a wine rack, and the piece will not get much abuse, other than glasses placed on top!
www.metaltech-pm.com
I think you'll be happy with lacquer over the BLO. Like has been mentioned just give BLO some time to cure prior to top coating it.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(04-10-2020, 02:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.

Fred,

If I use "Danish oil" instead, what are the typical number of coats? When I looked at the technical sheets provided by Watco, no number of coats is mentioned.

Thanks,

T.
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have no idea. When I use danish oil it's because I want an in-the-wood finish, so just a couple of coats to show off the grain is all I use. The problem with lots of coats is the BLO. If you don't allow it to cure somewhat (say, between every 2nd or 3rd coat) you might wind up with a gummy feeling finish...and it may take months to cure fully. I've also not used Watco, but according to Flexner it may be just a wiping varnish. If that is true, applying several coats will be less of a problem, you won't have the slower curing BLO gumming things up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.