Poplar Durability Outside
(04-12-2020, 08:17 PM)cputnam Wrote: I was asking about poplar because that is what I physically have.  The lumberyards around here do not carry cedar.  We were finally able to score some cedar from Home Depot.  It will be delivered on the 23 of April.  We have had our trials & tribulations trying to order that stuff from HD but finally scored some.

Thank you all for confirming my suspicion that poplar was a poor choice for exterior use.

Curt

If you have time and willing to cut up your own come on out to my place and cut down what you would like and mill them yourself.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Made the mistake of making a deck railing out of poplar. Even painted, it was done in ten years.
(04-12-2020, 12:00 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Really poor choice in a climate that's wet, like where I live in the NE, but it would likely last quite a long time where the climate is dry, like the SW.  But pine or douglas fir would be better choices, and cedar even better.  

John

I agree.  I made a house number sign to hang from my lamp post.  I painted it, but the paint wore off and then the wood quickly deteriorated. 

Douglas Fir is a better choice, and was the economy choice before pressure treated arrived. 

I replaced a deck that was 53 years old made from Douglas fir and most of the decking was good.  Only where water accumulated was there significant rot.  Especially where they doubled up on the joists.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.