new lathe decision
laguna revo 18/36 or nova galaxy---tks,joe
(04-11-2020, 07:34 PM)joezjr Wrote: laguna revo 18/36 or nova galaxy---tks,joe

What is your budget??

Do you have any funds for other turning equipment as well?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-11-2020, 07:34 PM)joezjr Wrote: laguna revo 18/36 or nova galaxy---tks,joe
I would recommend the Nova just from personal experience, my DVR 3000 is around 15 years old and no problems no vibration my beltless beauty. I would just be torn over the swing. I will tell you past 15 " diameter bowls are pretty but to big for normal people ask around people will tell you. I say Nova.
I have a grizzly 838. I can go up to 28 inch bowls. Haven't even come close to that. Usually 12 inch for my largest. Happier at 8 to 10 inch. brother in law has a 18/36 Laguna and loves it. I have been on it and it is a good machine. Between the two of us we put it through it's paces and it did nicely.
One thing I really like about my pm3520b is the movable headstock.  I can move it all the way to the end and turn a 38" round table top which I want to do soon or two of them.

See if either one can turn outboard of movable headstock and you will have your answer of turning small or large and by large it does not have to be a bowl.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-12-2020, 12:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: One thing I really like about my pm3520b is the movable headstock.  I can move it all the way to the end and turn a 38" round table top which I want to do soon or two of them.

See if either one can turn outboard of movable headstock and you will have your answer of turning small or large and by large it does not have to be a bowl.

We'll both have moving headstocks I've heard good things about the Laguna. Some well known Turner recently started using one and had a few videos on it. I just can't remember who
(04-12-2020, 03:40 PM)Wipedout Wrote: We'll both have moving headstocks I've heard good things about the Laguna. Some well known Turner recently started using one and had a few videos on it. I just can't remember who

I own one
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(04-12-2020, 08:55 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: I own one

There you go - he's the one

You going chime in and give the OP your thoughts?
Whichever one isn't made in China.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(04-13-2020, 08:48 AM)SteveS Wrote: Whichever one isn't made in China.

That would be Robust.
Wink

Looking at both of them, personally I don't think I would like the membrane type control pad on the Nova. I don't care how tough it is when it's new, over the buttons is going to crack and chip with time. The nerd in me likes the controls, but the practical side of me thinks the Laguna controls will be better over time.

My argument against the Laguna is the extremely lousy customer service I've heard about for the entire 16+ years I've been on WN. Unless they've done a 180 recently, I'd be leery of them. IF they have improved their CS, then with only looking at the specs and demo videos, I'd go with Laguna. I've always been impressed with the quality of their tools, but the lack of CS has kept me from owning anything from them.

BTW, for reference, I've got an American Beauty, so my views may be skewed a little.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper