Got Clamps?
GeeDub, you still out there?

Doug
(04-15-2020, 11:27 PM)Tapper Wrote: GeeDub,

Are the grips on those older Besseys the ones that Rockler sells? If so, how do you like them?

Thanks,

Doug

Sorry Doug. I was asleep at the switch. Yes, those are the Rockler ones.  They have worked great; they don't slip and have never failed.  Let me see if I can figure out when I got those . . . the oldest picture I could find with them in it was 2013 so they are at least that old and no signs of fatigue.  They have gotten a little pricey but, you can always watch for sales.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(04-16-2020, 07:32 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Quantity is one yardstick...but when the job calls for reach, who has clamps with the longest reach? Show your pictures!

A European cabinetmaker told me he owned several of a shorter version of this -

http://www.piher.com/en/piher-classic-cl...50-cm.html

Simon

I don't have much as far as deep reach clamps but a little while back I scored a pair of 84" jet parallels for $100 + free shipping
Big Grin gloat...i had to take 2 pictures to see the whole thing end to end. The shorter pair in the pictures are 72". I'll probably never clamp anything that big but I can't resist a good sale

Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(04-21-2020, 02:51 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Sorry Doug.  I was asleep at the switch. Yes, those are the Rockler ones.  They have worked great; they don't slip and have never failed.  Let me see if I can figure out when I got those . . . the oldest picture I could find with them in it was 2013 so they are at least that old and no signs of fatigue.  They have gotten a little pricey but, you can always watch for sales.

Thank you sir! I'll be checking the Rockler e-mails for specials to hopefully pick some up as I have quite a few of the original Besseys. Nice clamps but the grips can't compare to the Revos IMO.

Doug
I've always enjoyed seeing how people store their tools. Clamps are no exception. Most of these pics are a few years old, and I've picked up a few more here & there. Some of those haven't found a good home yet, but I'm keepin' my eyes open

[Image: frPkcIA.jpg]

This is my version of one that a WN member posted here several years ago. I can't remember who it was, but he was strongly encouraged to submit it to a magazine by just about everyone who saw it. I remember seeing it WOOD a couple months later...

[Image: Bghb8fq.jpg]

[Image: hSiaSWS.jpg]

This is an older pic. I've got a few of the light duty 4" Jorgies in here now, too. I'm a little surprised how often I use them.

[Image: eD8Edzc.jpg]

[Image: EE6mO7A.jpg]

I still use pipe clamps on a fairly regular basis.

[Image: U3j5HdN.jpg]

[Image: ikNiVA4.jpg]

I've found it's always handy to have a few spares... 
Winkgrin 

[Image: qSqSdwo.jpg]

As for long reach, I've got a couple sticks of black pipe, 10' long, I keep around for the really long jobs. I haven't actually had to go that far yet, but I've had a couple over 8'...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Id buy them too. Honestly i just clamped 8' last week. I have some Dubuques long enough.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(04-22-2020, 11:46 PM)Big Dave Wrote: I've always enjoyed seeing how people store their tools. Clamps are no exception. Most of these pics are a few years old, and I've picked up a few more here & there. Some of those haven't found a good home yet, but I'm keepin' my eyes open

Dave
Wait a minute, sir. Why did you post pictures you found on the internet that belonged to some woodworking store showroom?
Laugh

Simon
(04-23-2020, 09:41 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Wait a minute, sir. Why did you post pictures you found on the internet that belonged to some woodworking store showroom?
Laugh

Simon

I think he's trying to say you have a gorgeous shop and we're all jealous [Image: laughing6-hehe.gif]
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Sweet setup Big Dave. Love that Delta DP.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(04-24-2020, 03:36 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Sweet setup Big Dave.  Love that Delta DP.

Thanks, guys! 
Smile
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."