Sump Pump Reco's
So you've proven the pump is working but the switch isn't. If the switch is external, it's probably replaceable. Does it have a float on a rod with the switch on top of the pump? If so, just replace the switch. Or does it have a float on a flexible tether (conduit) connected to the bottom of the pump. Many of those are replaceable. The switch is inside the float on these. Or does it have an internal float and switch. Some of them are replaceable too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-16-2020, 04:23 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: So you've proven the pump is working but the switch isn't. If the switch is external, it's probably replaceable. Does it have a float on a rod with the switch on top of the pump? If so, just replace the switch.  Or does it have a float on a flexible tether (conduit) connected to the bottom of the pump. Many of those are replaceable. The switch is inside the float on these. Or does it have an internal float and switch. Some of them are replaceable too.

That's a valid point Snipe.  It's a Rigid pump with a diaphragm switch.  Looks like I need to pop the cover off the pit and pull the thing out to get a closer look at it.
(04-16-2020, 02:20 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Valid points...thank you.  Makes me think I might be better served with something like this:
http://www.consumersplumbing.com/site/co...d_id=11504

Pricey, yes, but worth the sound sleep.

I had a battery powered backup pump before I got the whole house generator.  Terrible choice.  The batteries cost $100 or so and lasted less than 2 years.  And it only lasted 3 or 4 hours before it was drained.  Thank goodness I never really needed it to save the day.  The city water driven pump is a far better choice if that's an option; it wasn't for me.  

John
(04-17-2020, 10:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I had a battery powered backup pump before I got the whole house generator.  Terrible choice.  The batteries cost $100 or so and lasted less than 2 years.  And it only lasted 3 or 4 hours before it was drained.  Thank goodness I never really needed it to save the day.  The city water driven pump is a far better choice if that's an option; it wasn't for me.  

John

Thank you all for your input!  I'm glad I asked here as it drove me to get off my butt and take the dumb cover off and learn more about how this unit works.  What I previously thought was a secondary pump is in fact the switch.  I figured since it was plugged into the wall, it must be a redundant pump.  But alas, as most of your can guess, it's a piggy-back plug.  Switch plugs into outlet, pump piggy-backs into the switch plug.  Duh!

So yes, the pump runs just fine.  I ran a hose and filled the crock up multiple times and plugged the pump direct into the outlet and it cleared it no problem.  Also appears that my original jiggle returned the switch to normal and it's functioning now as well.  I called up Rigid and they recommend changing the switch out every two years, so it looks like a trip to Home Depot is in order.  If it failed once, it will fail again.

Thanks again for all your help!  Figured I'd post my naivete and learning in the event it helps someone else who falls upon this post.