gouge in routed profile
(04-16-2020, 08:11 PM)anwalt Wrote: I have done it again !

Making a hard maple table with breadboard ends.  

Making a gentle round over with a portion of a large (1 in radius) bit.  

The bearing was above the table top.  spacing was maintained by the upstream router fence, UNTIL the breadboard end entered the bit opening for the fence.  I realized in advance that there was a risk of that happing, but thought I could hold the top against the downstream portion of the fence.  I was wrong.  I was unable to keep the top in position on the down stream fence.  The top entered the gap, and the bit dug too deep, leaving the gouge.  

So that is the problem, a profile gouge in end grain of hard maple.  

I am thinking that no wood putty product will stick to the end grain.  My thought is to make a couple drill holes to provide anchorage using fiberglass - polyester/styrene, or epoxy.  Possibly pack some router shavings in polymer so that it may be stained. 

Area around the gouge could be protected with masking tape.  

If gouge area is turned vertical, or turned to the top, then the polymer will run out, and down, creating another issue.  

My thought is to put some polymer into the drilled holes, which will run out of the center of the hole but I hope will stick to the wall of the drilled holes.   
Then rest the profile divot in a cove molding while it hardens.  Sand to match the profile.   Done!

Comments?  Suggestions?  

All suggestions and ideas entertained, with thanks.  

tom

Cut the gouge portion out so the breadboard end is shy of the end. Repeat for the other 3 ends. Glue in a contrasting piece like walnut or whatever you want. You can rout the radius edge on a long piece ,cut 4 pieces to size and then glue up. 
mike
(04-18-2020, 07:00 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Cut the gouge portion out so the breadboard end is shy of the end. Repeat for the other 3 ends. Glue in a contrasting piece like walnut or whatever you want. You can rout the radius edge on a long piece ,cut 4 pieces to size and then glue up. 
mike

Thanks to all with suggestions.  

Tom - zero clearance fence is what I should have done, and will do next time.

John & gunner - the bread boards are glued on the table top.  Would not be easy to remove & reprofile

Gary - well I have not done THIS b4, but I have made other errors.  Like not making a zero clearance fence first.  

Mike - the glue up would be end grain, not the strongest but the contrasting color is interesting.   Maybe find a way to do that on the next table top.  

What I did - I sanded the two damaged ends down in line with the profile.  Still had more divit than I wanted, but swmbo said this is to be a 'rustic' table.  

Thanks all for the suggestions .  Some folks learn from books, others by bad experiences.   Or, intelligence is the ability to learn from your mistakes, wisdom is the ability to learn from the mistakes of others.  

tom