Tapcon question
(04-17-2020, 01:47 PM)fredhargis Wrote: This thing, explained down the page.

Huh?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
There is a quick change installation tool you can buy, it's not needed, especially when using 2 tools to install them (hammer drill/impact driver).

Also, Tapcon drill bits are crap, buy a good name brand one (Bosch, Milwaukee, etc) and give the Tapcon one to someone you don't like.

Ed
(04-17-2020, 02:27 PM)EdL Wrote: There is a quick change installation tool you can buy, it's not needed, especially when using 2 tools to install them (hammer drill/impact driver).

Also, Tapcon drill bits are crap, buy a good name brand one (Bosch, Milwaukee, etc) and give the Tapcon one to someone you don't like.

Ed

Not sure if I have that option. Where I usually go (Fastenal) is shuttered for the duration of the epidemic. Don't know what the big boxes carry, and my local home center just sells them out of a bin.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(04-17-2020, 02:27 PM)EdL Wrote: There is a quick change installation tool you can buy, it's not needed, especially when using 2 tools to install them (hammer drill/impact driver).

Ed

So, I can use the hammer drill, just use my impact sockets chucked in, right?
Mike

Typically, I use a screw 1" longer than the thickness of the material being fastened down. I usually pull the hammer drill back and forth several times to clean out the hole. I make sure to drill the hole extra deep so to speak. Here are some good tips, https://www.concretefasteners.com/tips-a...ks-tapcon/
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-17-2020, 02:33 PM)Scouter Wrote: So, I can use the hammer drill, just use my impact sockets chucked in, right?

You can, but an impact driver works much better.

Ed
(04-17-2020, 05:55 PM)EdL Wrote: You can, but an impact driver works much better.

Ed

Only impact driver I have works off an air compressor, is that the same as the electric ones? Most people these days mean the electric when they talk about them, and I'm not sure what the difference is.
Mike

(04-17-2020, 05:57 PM)Scouter Wrote: Only impact driver I have works off an air compressor, is that the same as the electric ones? Most people these days mean the electric when they talk about them, and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Your compressor driven impact driver likely is far too powerful for driving Tapcons.  Battery powered impact drivers are measured in lb-in of torque.  Compressor driven ones are rated in lb-ft, and even a modest one has maybe 250 lb-ft of torque, which is over 2500 lb-ft.  That's 2 - 4X higher than the battery powered ones used for woodworking applications. 

John
(04-17-2020, 06:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Your compressor driven impact driver likely is far too powerful for driving Tapcons.  Battery powered impact drivers are measured in lb-in of torque.  Compressor driven ones are rated in lb-ft, and even a modest one has maybe 250 lb-ft of torque, which is over 2500 lb-ft.  That's 2 - 4X higher than the battery powered ones used for woodworking applications. 

John

Thanks. Not going to drop $100 for another tool unless I have to, will try the hammer drill like Tapcon recommended.
Mike

The hammer drill will work, just not as well as the impact.

Depends on how many tapcons you need to use. I had to hang mortar mesh for cultured stone on a 8' x 20' wall once. Corded hammer drill and cordless impact made it easier. This was before li-on batteries, the cordless hammer drill didn't hold up well.

Ed