Tapcon question
Question 
I'm trying to install post bases into a concrete porch. As per instructions I drilled a 3/16" hole for a 1/4" Tapcon, when I went to screw it in, using a 5/16" socket on a hand ratchet, the screw went in about 1" then snapped. I called Tapcon to get advice, the woman suggested a hammer drill. That seemed odd, I would have guessed an impact driver.

Anyone have any idea why it would snap with a hand installation?

Is a hammer drill right, or should it be an impact driver?

How do you install these things?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I do it the way you did. The advice s confusing...you mean she suggested a hammer dril to drill the hole? Anyway, that's what I did, and a rachet/socket to drive the screws in...even then I did break a couple.  I hate to ask this: is the hole deep enough (and did you vac out the dust)?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I cannot give you advise on which is better, but in my experience, they snap very easily.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(04-17-2020, 12:10 PM)Scouter Wrote: I'm trying to install post bases into a concrete porch. As per instructions I drilled a 3/16" hole for a 1/4" Tapcon, when I went to screw it in, using a 5/16" socket on a hand ratchet, the screw went in about 1" then snapped. I called Tapcon to get advice, the woman suggested a hammer drill. That seemed odd, I would have guessed an impact driver.

Anyone have any idea why it would snap with a hand installation?

Is a hammer drill right, or should it be an impact driver?

How do you install these things?

I use an impact driver.  A hammer drill seems like the wrong choice but one would think Tapcon has people qualified to help customers on the end of the line.  Perhaps she meant you should use a hammer drill to drill the hole?  

Back to the impact driver, it takes less torque to install a screw than doing it by hand.  Regardless of how I install them, I back them out and clear out the dust if I start to feel a lot of torque.  Also, you need to blow the hole out before even beginning to install the screw.  

John
Hammer drill to drill, impact to drive. Make sure the hole is clean and drilled deep enough.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-17-2020, 12:17 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I do it the way you did. The advice s confusing...you mean she suggested a hammer dril to drill the hole? Anyway, that's what I did, and a rachet/socket to drive the screws in...even then I did break a couple.  I hate to ask this: is the hole deep enough (and did you vac out the dust)?

No, she suggested the hammer drill to drive the screws in, which is why I thought it odd advice.

Yes, I vac'd out the dust, but the screw didn't go in deep enough to contact anything. It's a 2-1/4" screw that snapped after 1", the hole is 2-1/2" deep.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(04-17-2020, 12:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I use an impact driver.  A hammer drill seems like the wrong choice but one would think Tapcon has people qualified to help customers on the end of the line.  Perhaps she meant you should use a hammer drill to drill the hole?  

Back to the impact driver, it takes less torque to install a screw than doing it by hand.  Regardless of how I install them, I back them out and clear out the dust if I start to feel a lot of torque.  Also, you need to blow the hole out before even beginning to install the screw.  

John

Okay, another question:

Should I buy the cordless impact driver, or with the compressor-driven one that I have do the job? Not sure if there's any difference between them, other than power source.
Mike

There is a special sleeve where the drill bit sits inside. You pull off the sleeve drill the hole and put the sleeve back on and drive the screw. ALL using a hammer drill. They gave you the correct advice
(04-17-2020, 01:43 PM)Turner52 Wrote: There is a special sleeve where the drill bit sits inside. You pull off the sleeve drill the hole and put the sleeve back on and drive the screw. ALL using a hammer drill. They gave you the correct advice

I have no idea what you're talking about. Sleeve? On a drill bit?
Mike

This thing, explained down the page.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.