Dust Collection: Talk Me Out of This
(04-18-2020, 09:07 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: If you are able, would you please post a photo of this?  Thanks- Howard

Second that
This is the dust port I made for a 14" Delta / Rockwell bandsaw. Very simple and it works very well.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

A vacuum cleaner is never going to handle your larger bandsaw if you do any resaw work with it.  It does work OK on a small bandsaw, however, and that's what I have on my 14" Delta.  For my larger BS, as well as my jointer/planer, TS, and RAS, I get by with a 2 HP unit on top of a cyclone, with the exhaust going outside.  Outside exhaust eliminates filters, maximizes air flow, and keeps fine dust from being returned into the shop.  I you want to return air back into the shop you are going to need at least a 3HP unit to handle that larger BS.  

John
(04-18-2020, 09:07 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: If you are able, would you please post a photo of this?  Thanks- Howard

Here ya go.  

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Pence is very knowledgeable about dust collection. He is also a fanatic about it. His solutions often minimize chip collection---the stuff miter saws and wide tooth band saws produce.

I'll wager hooking a decent sized shop vac to each of your machines will do a better job----since dust collection is designed around large diameter piping and massive air movement. That ain't gonna happen with 2" ports and the massive area of the Rousseau.
(04-17-2020, 10:34 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Just purchase the cheap 2HP HF model to make due until/if you decide you need something better. It's not great but it is serviceable when you upgrade the bag(s) especially if you use it one machine at a time.

You can also put a Wynn filter on it.  I did that with my 2HP Grizzly that I bought used years ago.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(04-18-2020, 07:51 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: You can also put a Wynn filter on it.  I did that with my 2HP Grizzly that I bought used years ago.

That won't give you the minimum 800 cfm you need for a large bandsaw with 2, 4" diameter dust ports if you want to do any resawing.  2HP is simply not enough to push that flow through those filters.  Look at the fan curves.    

John
Update:

I just bought an Oneida 5hp cyclone and a whole truck load stacked high with 8", 7", 6" and 4" ducting, wyes, flextubes, gates & a sweep for $400 on CL. It's from 2009 and was "only really used for 4 years". 

The amazingly gracious seller also tossed in a larger Fein vacuum. Once I got home I was amazed to find that one of the galvanized fittings is the legendary accessory for delta 14" bandsaws that upgrades their dust port to 4" and encloses more of the underside. This is the bs I have and I don't even want to admit how much time I've spent online looking for this super rare accessory. Can you imagine the look on my face when I took this fitting over to see if there was any way I could make it work and it just bolted right on? Insert explicative. 

Roll your eyes that I'll be using a 5hp cyclone to keep 3 tools clean. When does one ever have the problem of comically too much power? There will definitely be room to grow...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sounds like you really fell into a deal. Congrats!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Time honored tradition----You Suck!!!!
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin