No. 1 Plane Re-Issue by Union !
I was quite surprised to see this in some of my feeds.   This sounds like a dedicated creative operation....

http://toolerable.blogspot.com/2020/04/u...ew_15.html

Chris
Chris
Indeed. Robert Porter and crew are going all out on this relaunch of Union Mfg. They will eventually have a full line of planes that are based on the X-plane design with the vertical adjuster screw, with some updates to improve the design overall. They will all -- including the X0A -- have adjustable mouths.

He actually tracked down and acquired the original trademarked name that was first used in 1866 and was owned by Stanley at one time.

I'm involved in the periphery of this project by providing technical support to Mr. Porter on machining and casting. We talk quite often.

Here is an image borrowed from Union Mfg Company Glenolden's Facebook page showing an in-progress shot of the sand casting pattern for the X0A:

Attached Files Image(s)

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I wish them well on their adventure, But $425 is not (That being said Union was always a middle market plane maker.) middle market.

I take offence at this  (A fine woodworker is not likely to put their plane in a position to fall. Union is focused on these folks.)  I try not to put myself in a position to be in an automobile accident so I needn't buy insurance?. What about the deere out of the ditch at 6:00 AM. Or the 8 year old grandson who is quite able  to knock anything off  the workbench onto the floor.

The fine woodworker. Specifically the fine makers that are self-taught. Does that mean that anyone that has ever learned from a magazine article is not self taught, or went to different schools to learn are not fine makers, because they are not self taught  and therefore are not fine woodworkers..

We are dedicated as a historically correct maker.. A tool collector wouldn't by one  because it is a reproduction even if historically 100% correct. and personally at $425 I don't care if it is historically correct or not.. Historically correct or not gray iron is inferior to Ductile iron and most people don't care about the manufacturing process or problems.

I would like to own a #1 but not enough to buy one from woodcraft for $160. Lie Nielsen is a renowned plane maker has a #1 for $225 and since his body is bronze it seems that being historically correct wasn't a major selling point for him I am going on the record here the only LN plane I have is a scrub plane and I got that at an auction.

I applaud the inthouseasem but I would take a long hard look. Been there many times myself.

Tom
Hmmm...just go out and try to by a Stanley No. 1, sometime.....the $425 will look a lot cheaper...just saying....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-18-2020, 03:52 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...just go out and try to by a Stanley No. 1, sometime.....the $425 will look a lot cheaper...just saying....

A brand new Lie Nielsen No. 1 (in bronze) is $225.  Their most expensive bench plane, a No. 8, is $475.  It's looking like LN is a bargain.  If Union really wants a comeback, they'll need to think hard about pricing or set themselves apart from LN and LV that would justify the higher price.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-18-2020, 03:52 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...just go out and try to by a Stanley No. 1, sometime.....the $425 will look a lot cheaper...just saying....

Stanley #1

Doug
"only missing the lever cap. some pitting on the bottom."
Don't need no steekin lever cap!
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Or, you could own a Bedrock No. 1 plane from Patrick Leach
There you go, $5 less AND it has a lever cap!
(04-18-2020, 03:03 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I wish them well on their adventure, But $425 is not (That being said Union was always a middle market plane maker.) middle market.

I take offence at this  (A fine woodworker is not likely to put their plane in a position to fall. Union is focused on these folks.)  I try not to put myself in a position to be in an automobile accident so I needn't buy insurance?. What about the deere out of the ditch at 6:00 AM. Or the 8 year old grandson who is quite able  to knock anything off  the workbench onto the floor.

The fine woodworker. Specifically the fine makers that are self-taught. Does that mean that anyone that has ever learned from a magazine article is not self taught, or went to different schools to learn are not fine makers, because they are not self taught  and therefore are not fine woodworkers..

We are dedicated as a historically correct maker.. A tool collector wouldn't by one  because it is a reproduction even if historically 100% correct. and personally at $425 I don't care if it is historically correct or not.. Historically correct or not gray iron is inferior to Ductile iron and most people don't care about the manufacturing process or problems.

I would like to own a #1 but not enough to buy one from woodcraft for $160. Lie Nielsen is a renowned plane maker has a #1 for $225 and since his body is bronze it seems that being historically correct wasn't a major selling point for him I am going on the record here the only LN plane I have is a scrub plane and I got that at an auction.

I applaud the inthouseasem but I would take a long hard look. Been there many times myself.

Tom

"Historically correct or not gray iron is inferior to Ductile iron "

I agree,,,,,,,,Cast iron is cheaper to manufacture and is inferior to ductile iron....Stanley made some tools in "malleable" iron, and marked them with an "m". They were premium grade.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset