Urn design features
I'm making a segmented urn for the SIL's father. I was planning on having a decorative lid but thought it might be a good idea to have an internal lid so ashes are not exposed if the decorative lid was removed. Having never made an urn are there standard features you design into yours?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(04-18-2020, 07:56 PM)SteveS Wrote: I'm making a segmented urn for the SIL's father. I was planning on having a decorative lid but thought it might be a good idea to have an internal lid so ashes are not exposed if the decorative lid was removed. Having never made an urn are there standard features you design into yours?

I've seen where they sometimes make the opening at the bottom w/ a screw on brass cap then you are free to make the top as you would like there's a guy on etsy that sells the threaded brass cap look here.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FromWalnutToAn...eader-name

Hope this helps,

Bruce
I purcased pvc plumbing parts. A threaded coupling and a threaded plug. Epoxied the coupling into the top of the vase and drilled and epoxied the plug into the cap. Neither can be seen when they are together. Might not work if you have the turning done unless you can buy a size that will work. I wanted something that was not permanent as this was for a husband and wife so needed to be able to open at two seperate times. If for one person I imagine it could just be epoxied in place
No need for threaded inserts.....just turn a recess in the base for a circular plywood plate in in and affix it with a few screws.

The industry standard is just that, a panel that is removable with screws. Easy peasy.

Certainly you can do whatever you want, but dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(04-19-2020, 02:14 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I purcased pvc plumbing parts. A threaded coupling and a threaded plug. Epoxied the coupling into the top of the vase and drilled and epoxied the plug into the cap. Neither can be seen when they are together. Might not work if you have the turning done unless you can buy a size that will work. I wanted something that was not permanent as this was for a husband and wife so needed to be able to open at two seperate times. If for one person I imagine it could just be epoxied in place

I have done this to since most hardware carry 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3" and higher.  But

(04-19-2020, 09:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: No need for threaded inserts.....just turn a recess in the base for a circular plywood plate in in and affix it with a few screws.

The industry standard is just that, a panel that is removable with screws. Easy peasy.

Certainly you can do whatever you want, but dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Packer guy has a point to.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.