GFCI Breaker
I have a kitchen circuit that is protected by a GFCI outlet. That outlet is now getting a lot of use with different chargers and such. What seems to be happening is the test button gets inadvertently pushed. The next thing you know your phone has no charge. I was thinking about swapping out the breaker for a GFCI breaker and putting in a regular outlet. Is there any down side other than the cost?
nope, Cost. I think it would need to be a dual AFCI / GFCI.
WoodNET... the new safespace
The title of your thread says GFCI breaker, but you mention swapping outlets. Do you have a GFCI breaker in the breaker panel, or are you talking about changing out a GFI outlet? If it is a regular breaker but you have a GFI outlet, the outlet may be protecting outside outlets or something else on that circuit, so changing out is a bad idea. Move your devices to a non-GFI outlet. If you have a GFCI breaker in the breaker panel, then whether the outlet is GFI doesn't really matter.

(04-23-2020, 08:29 AM)crokett™ Wrote: The title of your thread says GFCI breaker, but you mention swapping outlets.  Do you have a GFCI breaker in the breaker panel, or are you talking about changing out a GFI outlet?    If it is a regular breaker but you have a GFI outlet, the outlet may be protecting outside outlets or something else on that circuit, so changing out is a bad idea.  Move your devices to a non-GFI outlet. If you have a GFCI breaker in the breaker panel, then whether the outlet is GFI doesn't really matter.

I think he wants to replace the outlet GFCI with a breaker GFCI for the whole circuit to prevent inadvertent button tripping.   There are no issues with that except the breaker would need to be AFCI and GFCI.   Any outlets upstream from the current GFCI outlet would also be GFCI protected under the new plan.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(04-23-2020, 07:10 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: I have a kitchen circuit that is protected by a GFCI outlet. That outlet is now getting a lot of use with different chargers and such. What seems to be happening is the test button gets inadvertently pushed. The next thing you know your phone has no charge. I was thinking about swapping out the breaker for a GFCI breaker and putting in a regular outlet. Is there any down side other than the cost?

I just replaced a GFCI outlet in my kitchen, and now they have, at least the one I bought has, a little green led light that shows it is active, which I like for the same reason you have a concern.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-23-2020, 08:39 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I think he wants to replace the outlet GFCI with a breaker GFCI for the whole circuit to prevent inadvertent button tripping.   There are no issues with that except the breaker would need to be AFCI and GFCI.   Any outlets upstream from the current GFCI outlet would also be GFCI protected under the new plan.

Not to hi jack the thread...I agree with the answer that the breaker would solve the problem, but why the arc fault? Where are arc fault breakers required now?
(04-23-2020, 04:46 PM)bottd Wrote: Not to hi jack the thread...I agree with the answer that the breaker would solve the problem, but why the arc fault? Where are arc fault breakers required now?
2014 NEC

(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.  Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault ciruit interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following:
    1. A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter receptacle.
    2. A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type receptacle.
    3. A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter type circuit breaker.

AFCI protection is currently required for all 15 and 20 amp branch circuits providing power to outlets* in residential family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, and similar rooms or areas.   Once the 2014 NEC is adopted, both outlets and devices in these locations will need AFCI protection, and list will be expanded to include kitchens and laundry areas.

Note: GFCI protected circuits are still required in garages, above kitchen counters, outside (wet locations) and within 6 ft (iirc) of sinks.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-23-2020, 05:45 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 2014 NEC

(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.  Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault ciruit interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following:
    1. A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter receptacle.
    2. A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type receptacle.
    3. A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter type circuit breaker.

AFCI protection is currently required for all 15 and 20 amp branch circuits providing power to outlets* in residential family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, and similar rooms or areas.   Once the 2014 NEC is adopted, both outlets and devices in these locations will need AFCI protection, and list will be expanded to include kitchens and laundry areas.

Note: GFCI protected circuits are still required in garages, above kitchen counters, outside (wet locations) and within 6 ft (iirc) of sinks.

Interesting, thank you.
The circuit I want to change includes the one section of kitchen counter and the dining room outlets. The dining room outlet currently are not protected by the GFCI outlet. From that list it looks like I should get an AFCI/GFCI breaker instead of just a GFCI breaker. The orange box has a $10 difference between the two but that is only from $40 to $50.

That newer NEC guidance sounds like they want everything to be AFCI protected. That is changing from $5 to $50 breakers. I can't imagine how much my 200amp box that is maxed out with regular and tandem breakers would be worth if it had all AFCI breakers.
dual afci/gfci outlets aren't that expensive.  I will speculate that the breakers are because nobody uses them unless they are forced to.