"CELTIC LACE"
I'm looking forward to lots of photos of the upcoming handwork.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thank you Big Dave More yet to come; Carolyn Thank you so much I will take photos all the way threw the carving process. And I'll show my shortcuts, tips and tricks, nice to see your post don't think I ever had the pleasure before. Feel free to ask questions everyone and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Bruce
You got some work ahead of you!
VH07V  
Thank you Eight fingers Yes there's a good bit left to do. I started this morning putting the piece back on the lathe after gluing a piece of walnut to the Maple to create the base last night w/ 5 min Epoxy. For those of you who know me I do not have very fancy tools just basic power tools and my lathe is a HF Central Machines 12 X 33 (I'll post some photos of my shop this go round). 

What I do like about this lathe is the head rotates and has come in very handy many times for me, you'll see how it helps in the photos as well. While turning I changed my mind a bit for the base and went for a more functional base instead of the bead above the base I feel this way the customer could put fruit in the bowl and it would still be a very stable piece. So now it's carving time I'll lay out my carving tools in a photo next post so you can see what I'm using to do this work, I do use a Dremel sometimes when removing large pieces w/ the saw attachment.

Back to the photos of my shop I do have a nice large shop. the part where my lathe is is the upper part of a building that was the town of Pleasant Valley's Butcher Shop built in 1889 the same time my house was built.  They later added a 3 car garage to the front upper section that is my shop also, the lower section is a bunker  LOL.... root cellar where I keep my canoe and lawn tractor outdoor equipment. I laugh about it being a bunker because of how it was built very thick concrete walls and sealing w/ 1 foot x 1 foot  thick supports/ rafters  very heavy duty. I think someone in the family that use to live here worked in concrete.

If you have questions just ask,

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

The Shop.... it's a mess and almost always is, I'm always building something and not cleaning maybe  once or twice a year at most.
One other thing I forgot to mention was after drawing the pattern on the rim of the bowl I spray it w/ a light coat of lacquer to seal the pencil lines,  while carving and handling the piece as much as I will be the lines would rub off ( I DO NOT  WANT to DRAW THEM AGAIN) I'll have to draw the backside of the rim but that will be after the carving of the front is finished. Two photos of the piece before carving.

Bruce
How are holding on to the bowl while you carve it?
VH07V  
(04-29-2020, 03:46 AM)EightFingers Wrote: How are holding on to the bowl while you carve it?

I hold all my carving in my lap in my easy chair w/ a towel in my lap to catch the chips.

You'll see this in the photos, I've also taken a shot of the tools I'll be using and a progress photo.
I don't think I would ever be able to do that. Especially hand carving, but it is a wonderful buildalong and i am following closely I can't wait to see the next set of pictures. Thanks for posting.
^ ^ ^ What he said. ^ ^ ^
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thank you guys ..... there's not much exciting to show yet I have to carve this in a certain way to keep it as strong as possible during the carving process. The rim first then inside the circles then inside the thin bands, then the large sections and last the small triangles at the inner rim.
Last nights carving photo up date.

Bruce