(Sorta) Dutch Tool Chest completed
I don't think I've actually posted any pictures of this project.  I finished the shell and started outfitting the top over a year ago.  But I didn't finish with the tool placement because I wanted to use it for a bit to see if some of what I did was annoying, and I was struggling with the placement of tools on the lid.  After using it (sporadically, I've got kids) for a year, I determined that a few things I had in the lower compartment needed to be up top (namely the rulers and squares, as I frequently want to grab those for quick things around the house, and having to take off the front panel to access them was...annoying. 

This is a "Sorta" dutch tool chest because there is no way someone is going to pick this thing up.  I liked the style and that it would be easier to build than a full size tool chest.  But, I have no plans on taking it out of the shop, and I didn't see the point in making a smaller one and needing to stoop to access everything, or always having it sit on my sawhorse and never be able to use that.  So I made it taller/with more sections in the lower portion.  This seemed to work out well (if I'm not moving it out of the shop there was no reason to make the lower compartment separate like Christopher Schwarz did on one of his).  I also went with a shallow drawer in the lower section.  I like this, other than needing to remove the front panel to access.  In hindsite it might have made more sense to have the drawer come all the way out flush with the front, and attach the front panel in a different way than the two sliding locks, but this works and I don't see myself taking the effort to change it 
Smile 

Made with poplar and milk paint (red of some sort, don't recall the actual color name).

Opened up:

Lower section.  I still have some tools to put in here, but this is primarily the "tetris this stuff in here section" so I'm not worried that I haven't got it all in yet.  This part shouldn't be difficult compared to the top
Rolleyes 

The shallow drawer:

Next post will have details on the top.

For the top section I originally outfitted it to hold the planes, saws, chisels, and marking gauges.  Figuring this out wasn't too bad, but it still took way longer than I expected.  This week I added the holder for the two small squares, and they seem to work well. 

I liked the concept of putting the bowsaw on the lid, but it was going to be tight as there wasn't much clearance.  But earlier this week I decided to give it a shot, after laying everything out on paper and seeing if I could get the combo square to fit in there.  Dividers were a bonus, and I still have some room on the side for long things if I want to add them later.  Clearance was tight though.  My estimate was like less than a quarter inch of play vertically. 

Added the bowsaw first, open and closed it several times with no problem.  YES!  Then added the holder for the squares and dividers.  Everything fit.  
Big Grin   So done for the day.  Put the front on and close the lid.  THUNK.  Something isn't right.

Upset  (along with a hearty laugh).  The locks take up a bit of room at the front of the chest, and line up with the handles of the bowsaw.  Luckily an easy fix.  Trim half an inch off the locks, and they slide down a bit farther.  They are no longer flush with the top of the front opening, but that doesn't matter for my situation.  And the lid fully closes.
Cool

I still need some type of support for the lid.  I originally bent a thin piece of steel and have it connect on the side and lid.  The problem is the "thin" part.  It is too thin, because when I forget it is on there I grab the lid to close it and it just bends.  Of course a piece thick enough to resist me closing the lid I have no chance of bending with the equipment I have.  I might try laminating a thicker piece onto the thin piece in the middle where it is weak.  Haven't gotten around to trying that yet as the idea popped into my head while I was making this post.  
Big Grin

That is a really nice setup.
I like the design! You did very well altering a "proven useful" design to fit your needs. A job well done.
Nice job. Been thinking about building one myself.
Nice work! (I wouldn't want to try to pick that up, either.)
Looks good!!

One of the benefits of these is rarely mentioned: You can't block
access to the tools because the lid will not let you stack stuff on it!!

( Surfacis Horizontalitis )

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
One of the best ideas that I have seen for a Tool Chest.
Is it a design of the Dutch?
Somewhat dismayed by "paint" on wood.  I hate to paint. and never cover any wood that I build with paint! 

Crazy Oil, Wax, Varnish yea verily

Thanks for the design and photos