Dresser Progress
I've been picking the dresser project back up the past few weeks and am finally getting close to complete.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.

Very nice. I can't wait to see it completed.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
very nice, thanks for sharing
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

That's looking really good.  I like your hybrid construction approach, too, with the traditional method of making the side panels combined with the undermount drawers.  Curious why you chose pocket screws with the stretchers though after the meticulous work to build the side panels.  

John
"That's looking really good. I like your hybrid construction approach, too, with the traditional method of making the side panels combined with the undermount drawers. Curious why you chose pocket screws with the stretchers though after the meticulous work to build the side panels."

My wife wanted me to try the blum slides. It's the first time I've used them. I usually do traditional flush drawers with more of a landing platform for the drawers. However, this is a dresser that will see a lot more drawer use than my other items.

On the pocket screws, I have done this in the past. One of my hangups is using M&T on two sides of a leg. I worry about punching through and weakening it, especially with smaller legs like that. I know there are ways to prevent that, but I am not that good yet. I am also more confident in my ability with the side panel method used as I have done that style on a smaller scale before.

On the drawer dividers, I used dowels with pocket screws to keep the alignment in place. I really liked how that worked out, so I will likely use dowels in addition to where I use pocket holes in the future. The measuring any layout takes some time, but it forces everything into the correct position when assembled.
Coming along nicely. Great color.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(04-26-2020, 12:05 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "That's looking really good.  I like your hybrid construction approach, too, with the traditional method of making the side panels combined with the undermount drawers.  Curious why you chose pocket screws with the stretchers though after the meticulous work to build the side panels."

My wife wanted me to try the blum slides. It's the first time I've used them. I usually do traditional flush drawers with more of a landing platform for the drawers. However, this is a dresser that will see a lot more drawer use than my other items.

On the pocket screws, I have done this in the past. One of my hangups is using M&T on two sides of a leg. I worry about punching through and weakening it, especially with smaller legs like that. I know there are ways to prevent that, but I am not that good yet.  I am also more confident in my ability with the side panel method used as I have done that style on a smaller scale before.

On the drawer dividers, I used dowels with pocket screws to keep the alignment in place. I really liked how that worked out, so I will likely use dowels in addition to where I use pocket holes in the future. The measuring any layout takes some time, but it forces everything into the correct position when assembled.

Whatever works best for you is the right way.  But your work shows you are more than skilled enough to cut M&T joints on two sides of the legs w/o weakening them.  Use a router to cut the mortises; no risk of punching through.  I use loose tenons most of the time which makes sizing the stretchers no different than what you do for pocket holes;  you cut them to the required length.  The quality of your work suggests your pieces will be around a long time.  M&T joints have a long track record for durability and would help assure your pieces stand up well as they age.  

John
"Coming along nicely. Great color"

Thanks! Color is one spray and wipe with a 2% mixture of Transtint golden brown in water, then Cabot golden oak stain. Finish is Deft sanding sealer then satin lacquer.
"Use a router to cut the mortises; no risk of punching through. I use loose tenons most of the time which makes sizing the stretchers no different than what you do for pocket holes;"

I use a hollow chisel mortiser, so I have the stops on that. Then I use a dado blade to cut the tenons. I'm usually good on sizing, I just make the component lengths longer in Sketchup and mark the exposed lengths on the cutlist.

Do you buy your tenons, or do you make them? I would get a Domino if I could justify the cost.