Woodsmith CNC Router
I'm interested if anyone here has built the Woodsmith CNC router. If so, how does it work?  What changes if any did you make? Or, should I be looking at something like a Shapeoko or Joes CNC?

Thanks,
Bill
Others will be along to comment on the Woodsmith CNC but I'll add my $0.02. I've made 1/2 a dozen DIY CNC routers over the years and owned a small prefabbed kit as well.
The pre-fabbed kit that was based on MDF construction and tensioned threaded rod. It lacked the rigidity to function at a high level. The deflection caused by the lack of rigidity causes all sorts of issues that will quickly grow tiresome. There are work-arounds for machines like this but ultimately if you are entering the market I would aim higher.
The DIY builds I've made have all been built from 80/20 aluminum extrusion. There are free plans out there for a DIY 2'x3' machine built from 80/20 aluminum extrusion. I would research companies like, Fineline Automation and CNC Router Parts to see what is out there. The machines I've built are still "hobby" type machines but will function much better than some of the cheap kits/plans out there that are built with inferior materials.

In any case, good luck it's a slippery slope and a DIY CNC has a pretty steep learning curve.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(04-26-2020, 09:27 AM)gt64155 Wrote: I'm interested if anyone here has built the Woodsmith CNC router. If so, how does it work?  What changes if any did you make? Or, should I be looking at something like a Shapeoko or Joes CNC?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill:

Please check you private messages regarding a Shapeoko CNC.

Bill
I have a shapeoko xl and currently 2 x-carves.

I can’t say enough how simple the carbide software that comes free with the shapeoko is, it really softens the learning curve.

Duke
The Shapeoko 3 gets good reviews in the hobby/light commercial segment.

I am saving my pennies for one.

But regarding any true DIY machine: what do you want to accomplish? Is it to save money (at what level of work-output)? Is it to learn all about CNC assembly? Something else?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I have not seen the woodsmith plan , but if the gantry is wood, then I agree, it's probably a waste of time.
I agree with Lumberyard, you want aluminum extrusions (like 8020) as the gantry and "rails" of the other axis.
The Aluminum extrusion is much more rigid, perfectly straight and the t-slots make lining up things a lot easier.
The extrusion itself is not very expensive. 

I did several versions of DIY CNC, based on "Joes CNC" plans.  Joe had a design which used MDF carriages, 3 pieces of Aluminum extrusion, and a simple base.  It had rack and pinion drives on it. This design was for 4 foot by 4 foot, but 
of course you could make it smaller if you wanted to (and it's easy to expand to a larger footprint too).
I would pursue that or CNC routerparts kit if you wanted to do DIY Cnc.. I am sure there are other plans too, but those are the two I am most familiar with.
Not a fan of wood machines.

If I was building a wood machine though I would look at Dave Gatton's setup. He is a pretty good guy too.

https://www.davegatton.com/watch-gatton-...ild-videos

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike got me hooked on CNC. I'd definately would take his advice. Very knowledgeable and informed.

I've had a cnc routerparts machine for a couple years and love it. (Company changed name to Avid CNC) They are awesome to work with.

I'd second the recommendation on Dave Gatton. I enjoy his content and knowledge
Get the router in the for sale section. Jduke is selling one cheap.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.