wood patio/porch to replace concrete steps. leave or remove?
This picture shows two similar houses (top mine, bottom a neighbor)

There are concrete steps.  The neighbor built a wooden porch off to the side and left the concrete steps. 

My concrete steps are in terrible condition (structurally sound but all beat up and nasty looking). Local contractor said for $2300 he'd resurface them and make them look great, but said if he were honest, he couldn't warranty the work as the resurfacing won't last more than a couple years. 

Got me thinking that for that same money or less I could do the wooden patio/porch thing like my neighbor, only extend full width (like in the red rectangle I drew)

Question then would be, leave the concrete steps and put the porch over it? Or take the time to bust it all up and remove it? 

FYI: According to code this would not be a "deck" since it's less than 18" off the ground and has no railings or built in seating. 

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Are you doing this yourself or hiring it done? If the existing stoop is solid enough to build on and if I were doing it myself, I might be inclined to leave it and build over it. However, if the new deck surface must be at the same level as the existing stoop, then you have no alternative but to take out the stoop or, at least, the top of it.
Thinking long term, since you appear to be in an area with snow and ice, I think a better solution would be to have it taken out and install an elevated concrete slab at the same height as the existing stoop. This might involve building a perimeter wall of concrete block, backfill it with sand and gravel, and then pour the slab. This will last longer and be less maintenance for you in the long run.
In either case, your first concern is what to do about the siding that goes below the new deck surface. This will need to be removed and proper flashing installed.
(04-27-2020, 09:47 AM)Willyou Wrote: Are you doing this yourself or hiring it done? If the existing stoop is solid enough to build on and if I were doing it myself, I might be inclined to leave it and build over it. However, if the new deck surface must be at the same level as the existing stoop, then you have no alternative but to take out the stoop or, at least, the top of it.
Thinking long term, since you appear to be in an area with snow and ice, I think a better solution would be to have it taken out and install an elevated concrete slab at the same height as the existing stoop. This might involve building a perimeter wall of concrete block, backfill it with sand and gravel, and then pour the slab. This will last longer and be less maintenance for you in the long run.
In either case, your first concern is what to do about the siding that goes below the new deck surface. This will need to be removed and proper flashing installed.

Plan to do it myself (if at all, just brainstorming ideas here for a cost effective solution to increase curb appeal.)  I've built decks and patios before, so no real concern there. Understood about the siding and flashing. 
Not a bad idea about the new slab..
I am thinking about doing this myself - a smaller version.  I wonder what your town says?  I haven't asked mine yet.  My stoop is solid I just want to make it bigger and of course out of wood.  I am planning on leaving it unless the town says I have to remove it - in that case it stays and I won't don anything.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(04-27-2020, 10:59 AM)John Mihich Wrote: I am thinking about doing this myself - a smaller version.  I wonder what your town says?  I haven't asked mine yet.  My stoop is solid I just want to make it bigger and of course out of wood.  I am planning on leaving it unless the town says I have to remove it - in that case it stays and I won't don anything.

My town said as long as it's less than 18" off the ground and doesn't have railings or built in seating then it's not a deck, thus no permit required and I can do as I wish