Shaker Sideboard: I'm In Fine Woodworking!
Philip,

One of my family's prized possessions is a 15O year old cherry five drawer chest. It has a solid, one-piece top that has developed a crack that is much more severe than yours. I never notice it. It's just part if the piece's identity. I can imagine that you are crestfallen that this crack has marred all of your hard work - and on the top, the most visible place on the whole piece. But, trust me, It's not the end of the world. It will become part of the identity of your piece, like the crack in my antique chest has become an element of its identity. I'd be afraid that continued efforts to "fix" it will only make it worse. My advice is to either replace to top or chill out and let it be.

Hank
Adam:

thank you for the kind words and continued support. I think I have zeroed in on the fix that works for me. It makes for a subtle but acceptable change to the aesthetics of the piece. I hope the crack will stop where it is, but if it does not, the top is easily removable even when the piece is in place in my dining room: if I have to re-work it or replace it, so be it.

This has been a challenge, but its a hobby, and whats the point if there is no challenge? I share this project for selfish reasons. I greatly value and seek the input of others on the forum: this education is the basis of where I now am as a woodworker. My ulterior motive to posting the good/bad/ugly has to do with getting things done in a timely manner. Prior projects seemed to languish in my shop, taking endlessly long to finish. This daily posting has been the kick in the butt I needed to move me along on the journey.

Again, the thanks go to you and everyone else that has kindly shared there knowledge and experience to help me on my ww journey. Your input and support is greatly appreciated.

Phil

(10-04-2020, 08:57 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: It’s gonna keep cracking. Not forever. Putting something hard in the crack is a mistake. When the humidity rises, the material you put in the crack will create a wedge effect, deepening the crack.

In the museum world they mix up cocktails of Briwax and pigments to make that sort of stuff less noticeable. Briwax is a hard wax, but not compared to wood.

I know it’s really tempting to use a full section for a table top. I’ve had the most luck with boards sawn very close to the heart.  Your top is a good few inches from the heart judging from that ring pattern. Boards shrink mostly along the rings so that center section will be looking to move.

Ripping and regluing is not a panacea. And bread board ends won’t stop that either. It’s the nature of wood we fight against. It’s a stock selection issue. I think springing joints helps. But I have no test results to back that up.

Just for grins, how is the top connected to the case?  If it’s attached with screws, I’d yank out the back ones now. As they say, winter is coming.

Hey...this is fine woodworking as I define it. Nothing easy about building well, designing right, choosing stock that will work and function. This thread has it all. Every woodworker should be reading this.  

Thank you Phillip for sharing this project with us. I understand (believe me) that’s it’s like giving a lecture naked or...no woodworker wants a room full of woodworkers watching and judging his or her every move. Thanks for sharing your work with us.
Derek:

Well, I ended up with a dutchman of sorts. As I mentioned, its not disappearing, but its a "character mark" that I can live with and learn from. Thanks for your input.

Phil

(10-04-2020, 11:52 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I would have used a dutchman, that is, a scrap of end grain to inlay and match the surrounding wood. You can still do this. Even a round section from a plug cutter would help it disappear.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hank:

Well said: your point is well taken. As I mentioned above, the "fix" I have zeroed in on has a relatively minor impact on the aesthetics of the piece while possibly holding the promise of keeping the split at bay. I am on the road to chilling as I type this, and if at some point down the road I decide to replace the top, I have an excellent template to work from.
As always, thanks for all your input and support!

Phil

(10-04-2020, 01:24 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Philip,

One of my family's prized possessions is a 15O year old cherry five drawer chest. It has a solid, one-piece top that has developed a crack that is much more severe than yours. I never notice it. It's just part if the piece's identity. I can imagine that you are crestfallen that this crack has marred all of your hard work - and on the top, the most visible place on the whole piece. But, trust me, It's not the end of the world. It will become part of the identity of your piece, like the crack in my antique chest has become an element of its identity. I'd be afraid that continued efforts to "fix" it will only make it worse. My advice is to either replace to top or chill out and let it be.

Hank
It has been exhausting to try to reply to everyone's comments and suggestions: If I did not reply to a particular post, its not because i did not read or did not appreciate your input: I value all the comments and input tremendously. Apologies to anyone/everyone that I did not send a reply to: please know that I really value your participation in the project! Keep on posting/replying!
Dirty Harry was out of ammo - so yes, it may be that you will be lucky. Here's hoping for you.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The last of the big decisions:  pulls oriented vertical or horizontal ?

(10-06-2020, 01:13 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: The last of the big decisions:  pulls oriented vertical or horizontal ?

Ahhh. Musical pegs!

I vote horizontal only because you have to dust them more often.... No, I think they look better that way and give an audience pause to contemplate. 

Beautiful, and many thanks for sharing the build, the anxiety, the challenges, the solutions.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Mission Accomplished!

I am happy to say that the build of the Hunt Board has been completed, successfully!  

I’d like to thank everyone that viewed this post, and particularly those that posted and offered words of encouragement. I greatly appreciate everyones’s contribution to this project.

Special Thanks:  Hank Knight has been my mentor on this project. He graciously shared his experience building this piece, and helped me throughout the build. He is the epitome of a selfless woodworker sharing his broad knowledge to help a fellow (struggling) woodworker. I thank you Hank: your encouragement made this project the success that it has become.

TO ALL: Thanks again folks.  I predict that this woodworking thing may catch on!

[url=[Image: fullsizeoutput-135.jpg]]Huntboard[/url]
Wonderful job! Beautiful craftsmanship! Well done! Bravo!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite