Shaker Sideboard: I'm In Fine Woodworking!
Hank: You were absolutely right about that approach: had to make the video as proof ! Phil

(09-30-2020, 11:29 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Perfect! Can't beat a hand plane for some jobs.
Philip,

That is a beautiful piece! Great job!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(09-30-2020, 11:06 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Planing the bevel on the ends of the top (make sure your volume is on Maximum):

Planing Top Bevel

That's exactly how I made the bevels on the top of my wall mounted tool cabinet. Very quick, and no sanding required after you're done.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think those under bevels just crisp up a design. It’s not just lightness. On period chippendale mirrors, all that scroll work is back beveled. It makes the design more 2dimensional and punches up the shape of the scroll work. This is one way you can quickly spot modern scroll saw made mirrors from period mirrors.
A Hard Nut To Crack: So here is the top after the initial coat of finish which I applied today:

Prior to coating the top, I applied three coats of finish to the underside. After the first coat, I noticed, well there is no other way to say it: a crack, or to be more precise: two cracks coming in from the edge that had been steeply beveled. It appeared to be limited to the bottom (at that point), so I kept my fingers crossed, and proceeded with the top of the top finish. Here is what I now have:

So as I sit here and ponder, I do wonder if this is a show stopper, or just some early character developing?  What say you?
Character. No question about it.
(10-03-2020, 04:53 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: So as I sit here and ponder, I do wonder if this is a show stopper, or just some early character developing?  What say you?

How much is this going to bug you eery time you look at it? You're a very good woodworker; i assume you know the answer. That's the only measure I know of that counts.

Very nice piece overall, by the way.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Well, there was a time years ago when this would have bugged the hell out of me. Now that I have a few mores miles under my belt, I could live with this defect, assuming it doesn't get much worse. I am trying to come up with a clever fix, but so far I've got nothing. There really is no way to get glue into the crack, and I dare not try to widen it to get glue applied. Its a bit small for a dutchman, which would stand out like a sore thumb. I could cut the top back and re-plane the bevel and re-finish, but at this point, that seems a bit extreme, although it is probably the best course of action. This will of course slightly alter the symmetry of the curves on the back/front, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

(10-03-2020, 06:22 PM)Aram Wrote: How much is this going to bug you eery time you look at it? You're a very good woodworker; i assume you know the answer. That's the only measure I know of that counts.

Very nice piece overall, by the way.
Phillip, is that one wide piece of wood?

Finishing the underside really won’t help you. You need to seal up the end grain. But if that’s one piece of wood, you may not stop that crack.

You may not choose this approach, but what I have done is rip boards like that in or very near the crack, match plane and spring the joint and glue it back together. I think spring joints work. But I may be wrong.
Super glue and some sanding dust? We’re still on the humid side now (I know your shop is humidity controlled though) and heading into winter, so that’s my main concern on the cracks getting worse if you don’t stop them now. However, I’m with you in that stuff like this doesn’t bother me enough like it used to...my pieces have tons of character!

Kevin