Template material
I use hardboard that is smooth on both sides. It's a little more expensive and not as easy to find.
I prefer it because if you are making matching opposite pieces all you have to do is flip the template to make the opposing part.
It also has the added benefit that the router/tool slides smoothly on the smooth sided template.
I use the general use double sided tape that Woodcraft and Rockler sells. Not the turners tape because it's holding power is too strong.
(04-30-2020, 10:32 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Not the turners tape because it's holding power is too strong.

I did not realize that, thanks for pointing it out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Are you making them all the same?
I made a few chairs and made 1 with a reclining back for star gazing or relaxing.
Just a thought.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(05-02-2020, 12:20 PM)Pirate Wrote: Are you making them all the same?
I made a few chairs and made 1 with a reclining back for star gazing or relaxing.
Just a thought.

For now just making two and see how they look and fit.
Saratoga, NY
MDF is fine, I prefer baltic birch personally.
I do not use tape, I use FastCap Blind nails to hold templates to parts unless there can be no blemishes at all. The blind nail leaves a small hole. 

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.