Pin nailers - do I need 2”
I kind of disagree on the "no holding power" thing.
I accidentally shot one through one of my finger bones (yea, I was dumb, gun slipped just as it fired, shot out pin as a projectile that hit my hand) Anyhow it was hard to get out.

But back to the point.. I have attached 3/4 x 3/4 molding to lots of projects just using pins, no need for glue in my opinion.
Obviously, a bigger brad would be stronger, but how much strength is really needed? I like to prefinish as much of the project that I can before assembly, including trim molding, so the glue would not stick to the finished surface.

I would not use it to hold large crown molding or baseboard molding, but for small things, it's more than adequate in my opinion.
Never seen a need to use anything over 1" with a pin nailer.
I move to a 18ga if I need longer.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My PC pin nailer has a 1" max pin length, and I often wish it could shoot longer ones.  1-1/4 to 1-3/8 would be a good sweet spot for me when I want to hold something 3/4" thick.  2"?  No, I don't see a need for the work I do, but others might.  

No holding power?  That's not my experience.  They are great for attaching molding and other lightweight work, with or without glue.  

John
I have a Bostitch pin nailer (great tool), and I do not use anything longer than 1" long. The tool is meant only to hold pieces in place until glue sets up.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
When using a 23 guage pinner in hardwoods(maple/purpleheart/etc), you will get some blowouts when the pins do a 90° detour, especially with longer pins.
(04-30-2020, 08:53 AM)paul2004 Wrote: I kind of disagree on the "no holding power" thing.
I accidentally shot one through one of my finger bones (yea, I was dumb, gun slipped just as it fired, shot out pin as a projectile that hit my hand)  Anyhow it was hard to get out.

But back to the point.. I have attached 3/4 x 3/4 molding to lots of projects just using pins, no need for glue in my opinion.
Obviously, a bigger brad would be stronger, but how much strength is really needed?   I like to prefinish as much of the project that I can before assembly, including trim molding, so the glue would not stick to the finished surface.

I would not use it to hold large crown molding or baseboard molding, but for small things, it's more than adequate in my opinion.
My 15 gauge nails have a small head on them.

The pinner is just a thin piece of wire.  No head.  I would not expect much holding power. 

And I like to stain or paint before assembling panel doors so that there would be no possible unfinished exposed areas due to to seasonal expansion/contraction.  But the glued surfaces get finished after assembly.  It helps hide seams.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-30-2020, 10:36 AM)Cooler Wrote: My 15 gauge nails have a small head on them.

The pinner is just a thin piece of wire.  No head.  I would not expect much holding power. 

And I like to stain or paint before assembling panel doors so that there would be no possible unfinished exposed areas due to to seasonal expansion/contraction.  But the glued surfaces get finished after assembly.  It helps hide seams.

Your way of doing things is perfectly ok, of course.
But honestly, most pinned things do not need to be glued.
I don't like the idea of risking glue squeeze out on an unfinished surface, as it can interfere with oil based stains.
Hard to clean up glue squeeze out when gluing a small molding.
Less of an issue if you use shellac and gel stains though.

My experience is that the pins hold well. Sure, they aren't as strong as 15 gauge nails, but that kind of holding power is not needed on small moldings.. Note, I am not criticizing you in any way, just relaying my experience.  Heck, you are probably a much better woodworker than I am.
I bought a no name pin nailer that would shoot 2" pins.  Unless you are nailing styrofoam,  pins much longer than 1 1/4" are going to blow out where you don't want them to.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(04-30-2020, 07:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: Bostitch, $150.00 at Lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bostitch-2-in-2...lsrc=aw.ds

I much prefer the feel of the Hitachi.  

At less than half the price,   so does my wallet !

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metabo-HPT-was-...1000903138
(05-02-2020, 08:00 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I much prefer the feel of the Hitachi.  

At less than half the price,   so does my wallet !

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metabo-HPT-was-...1000903138
I have a 1 3/16" ( 35 mm?) pin nailer. The 1 3/8" would be useful. Sometimes 1 3/16" is just a tad shorter than I'd prefer. I find the little things hold better than I'd expect. They're certainly not replacements for 16ga./18ga. brads but I find the holes once filled really are invisible. They're about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.