finish to allow for later painting if desired?
thanks for the tips everybody!
(05-01-2020, 08:25 PM)cputnam Wrote: Garnet or Ruby shellac will add a very nice amber color.  Test on scrap.  Current problem with shellac is getting the alcohol.

From what I've seen most of the darker colored shellacs are not dewaxed. 

I did mention that I ran into issues with the PPG's Breakthrough! paint over Sealcoat.  It left a crazed and cracked finish that I had to sand off.  I have never had that issue before and I suggest testing first.

If he wants a darker color under SealCoat he can add a penetrating stain.  I never thought poplar had a particularly attractive grain however.

This article seems to agree:  https://vermontwoodsstudios.com/content/poplar-wood

But this photo from that article looks quite nice:

[Image: cherry-moon-sideboard-small-38_03.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I do not know why but everything covers shellac and it seals so nicely to.  Maybe because it is natural I do not know.

She does a way better job then I can even try so tell her Well done!!!
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.