finish to allow for later painting if desired?
  Re: finish to allow for later painting if desired? by mound (my daughter (10yrs) ...)
thanks for the tips everybody!
  Re: RE: finish to allow for later painting if desired? by cputnam (Garnet or Ruby shell...)
(05-01-2020, 08:25 PM)cputnam Wrote: Garnet or Ruby shellac will add a very nice amber color.  Test on scrap.  Current problem with shellac is getting the alcohol.

From what I've seen most of the darker colored shellacs are not dewaxed. 

I did mention that I ran into issues with the PPG's Breakthrough! paint over Sealcoat.  It left a crazed and cracked finish that I had to sand off.  I have never had that issue before and I suggest testing first.

If he wants a darker color under SealCoat he can add a penetrating stain.  I never thought poplar had a particularly attractive grain however.

This article seems to agree:  https://vermontwoodsstudios.com/content/poplar-wood

But this photo from that article looks quite nice:

No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
  Re: finish to allow for later painting if desired? by mound (my daughter (10yrs) ...)
I do not know why but everything covers shellac and it seals so nicely to.  Maybe because it is natural I do not know.

She does a way better job then I can even try so tell her Well done!!!
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.