Paver driveway--Seal it? Use Polymeric sand?
Just moved to South Florida where many homes have paver driveways. We bought in a new development and have one, but I have no experience with them.. The sand that is swept between the pavers is slowly  coming out when it rains. I see a few neighbors sealing the pavers. A few others add polymeric sand. Both sealing and polymeric sand get mixed reviews when I read about then online.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
 Fred
(05-05-2020, 05:57 AM)frule Wrote: Just moved to South Florida where many homes have paver driveways. We bought in a new development and have one, but I have no experience with them.. The sand that is swept between the pavers is slowly  coming out when it rains. I see a few neighbors sealing the pavers. A few others add polymeric sand. Both sealing and polymeric sand get mixed reviews when I read about then online.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
 Fred

Maybe one of the pro's can add some additional info, but the sealing should prevent the discoloration and staining of the pavers over time.  I lived in SW and NE Florida for a number of years and the sun can be brutal.  I always thought with the polymeric sand, after it is swept between the pavers and dampened with a hose, you use a plate compactor to compress and lock the sand together.  It's the geometry of the polymeric sand that makes it work this way as opposed to regular sand.  I think it lock together like regular mortar, but allows water to drain through it.
(05-05-2020, 05:57 AM)frule Wrote: Just moved to South Florida where many homes have paver driveways. We bought in a new development and have one, but I have no experience with them.. The sand that is swept between the pavers is slowly  coming out when it rains. I see a few neighbors sealing the pavers. A few others add polymeric sand. Both sealing and polymeric sand get mixed reviews when I read about then online.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
 Fred

Polymeric worked as advertised for me.  Weeds still grow up in it tho.  
Angry

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
 Fred
 I thought polymeric sand is to lock the pavers in place and prevent the rain from washing it out,  sealer is to prevent dirt and mold from the surface of the paver and to keep it looking nice.    Here is a LINK on how to apply polymeric sand on an existing drive.  It is not just a dump and sweep if you want good results.  Be sure and read about the staining part if done improperly.   Roly
We always used the polymeric sand. Poured on top and swept it in as much as possible. Left extra sa nd on top and the compacted with a plate compactor with a rubber pad attached to the bottom. Swept in again and compacted the second time. Really locked everything together. Will not stop weed growth or settlig if your base is not installed correctly. We never applied a sealer that I can remember. I would imagine that might vary depending on what kind of pavers are used. I know some of the concrete sealers can get quite slippry when water is on them if applied to smooth concrete
(05-06-2020, 04:40 AM)KC Wrote: Polymeric worked as advertised for me.  Weeds still grow up in it tho.  
Angry

Thanks,KC

Have you needed to replace the polymeric sand often? Some have complained that it comes out in chunks in a year or 2.

May be poor installation causing this.
(05-06-2020, 07:30 AM)Roly Wrote:  I thought polymeric sand is to lock the pavers in place and prevent the rain from washing it out,  sealer is to prevent dirt and mold from the surface of the paver and to keep it looking nice.    Here is a LINK on how to apply polymeric sand on an existing drive.  It is not just a dump and sweep if you want good results.  Be sure and read about the staining part if done improperly.   Roly

Thanks for this link. It's the best one I have read.
(05-06-2020, 02:49 PM)Turner52 Wrote: We always used the polymeric sand. Poured on top and swept it in as much as possible. Left extra sa nd on top and the compacted with a plate compactor with a rubber pad attached to the bottom. Swept in again and compacted the second time. Really locked everything together. Will not stop weed growth or settlig if your base is not installed correctly. We never applied a sealer that I can remember. I would imagine that might vary depending on what kind of pavers are used. I know some of the concrete sealers can get quite slippry when water is on them if applied to smooth concrete

I'd like to avoid the sealer. From what I have read, there seems to be about a 50/50 divide on whether to seal or not.

Thanks, 
Fred