Who's Got an Optivisor? Magnification Question
Ok, the eyes are getting a bit weak as I get older and I've had it with the cheap plastic lens versions and have decided to purchase a Donegan Optivisor, which I have heard is one of the best; the visor and lens go for around $48.  My use would be primarily for sharpening saws, but it could be useful for other fine work as well.  I know I can buy another lens, but individual lenses go for $35+ alone, so I want to pick the optimal/most useful size at the get go.

They sell by Xx magnification and focal length, and I'm stuck between a 2x with a 10" focal length, and a 1.75x with a 14" focal length (they have other focal lengths at 4, 6 and 8" which I think are too short).  For those of you that have them, which did you pick, and did you wish you had picked a different focal length? 

Thanks in advance for the input.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Rich

I got this one from EBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Magnif...1503!US!-1

I like it better since I can move the lens in and out or flip it up if I do not need it for another task.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-05-2020, 10:02 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ok, the eyes are getting a bit weak as I get older and I've had it with the cheap plastic lens versions and have decided to purchase a Donegan Optivisor, which I have heard is one of the best; the visor and lens go for around $48.  My use would be primarily for sharpening saws, but it could be useful for other fine work as well.  I know I can buy another lens, but individual lenses go for $35+ alone, so I want to pick the optimal/most useful size at the get go.

They sell by Xx magnification and focal length, and I'm stuck between a 2x with a 10" focal length, and a 1.75x with a 14" focal length (they have other focal lengths at 4, 6 and 8" which I think are too short).  For those of you that have them, which did you pick, and did you wish you had picked a different focal length? 

I saw rob cosman using one for his close work.
Might drop him a question during one of his online streaming events...

Matt
Can you measure your preferred focal length? I would start with that since it probably limits your magnification choices. Get the highest magnification available at your desired focal length since the problem you are trying to fix will not get better over time.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-05-2020, 07:22 PM)mdhills Wrote: I saw rob cosman using one for his close work.
Might drop him a question during one of his online streaming events...

Matt

I use a #5, for ckt bd work. I also added this, which really helps.[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Dental-3W-LED-Headlight-Medical-Surgical-LED-Light-Head-Lamp-for-Dentist/222279218869?epid=2254432937&hash=item33c0dfb6b5:g:UbgAAOSw-INbY8Tb][/url]
(05-05-2020, 10:02 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ok, the eyes are getting a bit weak as I get older and I've had it with the cheap plastic lens versions and have decided to purchase a Donegan Optivisor, which I have heard is one of the best; the visor and lens go for around $48.  My use would be primarily for sharpening saws, but it could be useful for other fine work as well.  I know I can buy another lens, but individual lenses go for $35+ alone, so I want to pick the optimal/most useful size at the get go.

I would go with the 1.75/14".  You're going to have to be right on top on something using 10".  Also, 14" should give you a little wider field of vision.  Make sure to get the glass lenses.

Lonnie
I bought a set from Lee Valley, which was an insanely great deal but only available for a short time. It came with 4 lenses, and I use the 1.5x the most. That would be most similar to the 1.75x in the Optivisor.
Do you have glasses to help your vision now?  What is the magnification on them?  Your eyes will likely get worse over time, so I would opt for a higher power lens.  I can't imagine going with glass lenses.
Thanks to all for their insights, by reply and by PM; I think I have enough to sort through my options.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have one.  I got it from Rio Grande jewelry supply.  I mostly use it when I have to remove splinters.  If you are looking for a full array of lenses then check out Rio Grande:  https://www.riogrande.com/searchresults#...Results=36

I use  a +1 reading glasses for my general shop safety (five pair for $15.00 from Amazon.com).  I have a stronger pair of +1.25 for more detailed work, but I rarely use it. 

After the cataract surgery my right eye is in focus at at the tip of my extended hand and is perfect for shooting a pistol or working on a computer.

With the +1 the right eye is in focus at about 15" up to about 10" and my left eye is in focus at about 24" up to about 15".

The optivisor has limited application for me. I used it mostly when I was setting gem stones.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.