Who's Got an Optivisor? Magnification Question
(05-05-2020, 07:22 PM)mdhills Wrote: I saw rob cosman using one for his close work.
Might drop him a question during one of his online streaming events...

Matt

That question comes up almost every week on his livestream events. He typically uses the 1.75.

Scott
(05-06-2020, 03:49 PM)scottbrader Wrote: That question comes up almost every week on his livestream events. He typically uses the 1.75.

Scott

They have kits with a full array of lenses.  And there is a lighted lens system too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-06-2020, 03:46 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have one.  I got it from Rio Grande jewelry supply.  I mostly use it when I have to remove splinters.  If you are looking for a full array of lenses then check out Rio Grande:  https://www.riogrande.com/searchresults#...Results=36

I use  a +1 reading glasses for my general shop safety (five pair for $15.00 from Amazon.com).  I have a stronger pair of +1.25 for more detailed work, but I rarely use it. 

After the cataract surgery my right eye is in focus at at the tip of my extended hand and is perfect for shooting a pistol or working on a computer.

With the +1 the right eye is in focus at about 15" up to about 10" and my left eye is in focus at about 24" up to about 15".

The optivisor has limited application for me. I used it mostly when I was setting gem stones.

How does the optivisor compare for splinters to a swing-arm, illuminated magnifying lamps?

Matt
(05-06-2020, 08:34 PM)mdhills Wrote: How does the optivisor compare for splinters to a swing-arm, illuminated magnifying lamps?

Matt

I have been using the Magnifocuser  for the last 8 years. The kind you can buy from Lie Nielsen. I keep three different lenses for different saw teeth. Shop lighting can occasionally be an issue.
BontzSawWorks.net
I have a Luxo-lamp with a magnifier (expensive, but worth it).  It has great optics and the lamp head stays in place.  I've had it for about 30 to 35 years. 

The difference is that the Luxo lamp will not travel with you.  It is stationary.  It is like comparing a drill press with a battery powered hand drill.  There is a place for both.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/3...gK3xfD_BwE
I just replaced the bulb in my ancient magnifying lamp with an led one.  I got an led that would run direct off of line voltage.  Had to replace the switch, because it was part of the starter.  Or it was the starter. Anyway, it didn't work as a switch. Bulb didn't fit exactly, but I made it work.

I still want an optivisor.  Would be nice to have one with lighting.
(05-08-2020, 03:08 PM)EricU Wrote: I just replaced the bulb in my ancient magnifying lamp with an led one.  I got an led that would run direct off of line voltage.  Had to replace the switch, because it was part of the starter.  Or it was the starter. Anyway, it didn't work as a switch. Bulb didn't fit exactly, but I made it work.

I still want an optivisor.  Would be nice to have one with lighting.
They are not very expensive and the lighting kit can be added afterwards (about $25.00).  

https://www.riogrande.com/product/quasar...sor/113215

The Optivisor is not priced prohibitively.  If you have a real application for one, then I would get one.

When I was setting gemstones, I was seated at a workbench and had a (remember when?) a "high intensity light" aimed at the setting.  If you are at a fixed position then the fixed light and an optivisor works well. 

The magnifier on my Luxo lamp offered too much magnification my that task.
(05-05-2020, 10:02 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ok, the eyes are getting a bit weak as I get older and I've had it with the cheap plastic lens versions and have decided to purchase a Donegan Optivisor, which I have heard is one of the best; the visor and lens go for around $48.  My use would be primarily for sharpening saws, but it could be useful for other fine work as well.  I know I can buy another lens, but individual lenses go for $35+ alone, so I want to pick the optimal/most useful size at the get go.

They sell by Xx magnification and focal length, and I'm stuck between a 2x with a 10" focal length, and a 1.75x with a 14" focal length (they have other focal lengths at 4, 6 and 8" which I think are too short).  For those of you that have them, which did you pick, and did you wish you had picked a different focal length? 

Thanks in advance for the input.
I have been using Optivisors for 40yrs at least...Purchased one new and ~four at flea markets and yard sales, so I have at least five pr....in various magnifications...a couple with the "swing down" magnifier that doubles the magnification....My "go to" is a 2x and if I need more magnification I just go right to the strongest which I believe is a 10..

I have been considering the purchase of a TV microscope but I need to learn more about them.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-13-2020, 03:07 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................
I have been using Optivisors for 40yrs at least...Purchased one new and ~four at flea markets and yard sales, so I have at least five pr....in various magnifications...a couple with the "swing down" magnifier that doubles the magnification....My "go to" is a 2x and if I need more magnification I just go right to the strongest which I believe is a 10..

I have been considering the purchase of a TV microscope but I need to learn more about them.
You can get them for as little as $30.00 the last time I looked. 

One of my customers sent me a remarkably sharp closeup image.  I asked what kind of camera and it was a $60.00 microscope camera. 

I don't have a use for one, but if I did I would want one that would hook up to my tablet so I can use it as a magnifier as well as a camera.