0.5" bolts for cedar
I need some 8" long 0.5" bolts for use with cedar. Is galvanized the only option for larger bolts. For screws I know there are a number of options for screws but I am not sure what is available for larger bolts.
McMaster Carr has them (8" SS, #92198A757), that one is hex...they may have carriage bolts as well. The hex comes fully threaded or partially threaded.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Galvanized gives much better rust protection than does any other plating option.  Stainless steel would be exorbitantly expensive.  Brass and bronze might be available but even more expensive.  

Hot dipped galvanized is much preferred over "cold galvanized".  The cold galvanized finish can easily be chipped off.  This is more of a problem with nails that get hit with a hammer, but is also an issue with bolts, especially the nuts if a poorly fitted wrench is used.

I always look for hot dipped.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-07-2020, 12:32 PM)Cooler Wrote: Galvanized gives much better rust protection than does any other plating option.  Stainless steel would be exorbitantly expensive.  Brass and bronze might be available but even more expensive.  

Hot dipped galvanized is much preferred over "cold galvanized".  The cold galvanized finish can easily be chipped off.  This is more of a problem with nails that get hit with a hammer, but is also an issue with bolts, especially the nuts if a poorly fitted wrench is used.

I always look for hot dipped.

Take a look in the hardware section of Lowe's for structural screws ... here is a link.  They are in the bins of loose hardware with the lag bolts and such.  They come in either a hex head or a flat head.  I've used these on large landscape timbers with an impact driver.
Will an allthread with a nut and washer on each end work.  That way you can make it any length you need. No galvanized required
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
The McMaster suggestion looks good. Not as expensive as I thought it might be. I like the structural screws but the SS from, McMaster was more economical for what I need. Now to see if I can actually source the cedar right now. My son wanted to build a hammock stand for a school project. Of course once I got hold of the idea I had to kick it up a bit. If I can't get the cedar we will use some fir and regular fasteners.
These guys have all sorts of 1/2" bolts -

https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx

They have 1/2" x 8" stainless carriage bolts in two grades.  They also have one they call a timber bolt with an over sized head that I thought was pretty cool, but only in hot galvanized finish.  Lots of choices in lots of styles.
Menards $7 for 3 bolts
(05-08-2020, 11:38 AM)WoodCzech Wrote: Menards $7 for 3 bolts
Since hot dipped galvanized bolts will outlast the cedar in most locations (exception possibly with direct salt water exposure), it seems like over-kill.

Galvanized bolts (also from Menards) also 1/2" - 13, 8" are just $32.00 for 25 bolts or $19.97 for the same size (which is confusing). 

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html...iage+bolts
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-07-2020, 06:19 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: The McMaster suggestion looks good. Not as expensive as I thought it might be.

I was a little surprised by the cost as well, seemed reasonable.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.