P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet
Colleagues: I have the Porter-Cable 3101 laminate trim router with a hard to release two piece collet.

I have cleaned the collet body, nut holding it, etc., and it still sticks. Has anyone found a way to alleviate this issue?

Appreciate any thoughts.
(05-07-2020, 01:19 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Colleagues: I have the Porter-Cable 3101 laminate trim router with a hard to release two piece collet.

I have cleaned the collet body, nut holding it, etc., and it still sticks. Has anyone found a way to alleviate this issue?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I am assuming the bit is sticking in the collet, if this is the case do not bottom out the bit when inserting, pull out a tad then tighten. When you want to remove the bit unloosen and push the bit deeper in the collet then it will pull out.   It may be necessary to tap the bit in with a piece of wood or mallet.  Roly
If they stick I usually just tapped the side of the collet with the wrench and they pop right out.  I have a few of those little routers and keep round over bits in them at all times so don't switch them out often.

But, yes like mentioned above, don't let them bottom out in the collet when you tighten them.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(05-07-2020, 01:47 PM)KLaz Wrote: If they stick I usually just tapped the side of the collet with the wrench and they pop right out.  I have a few of those little routers and keep round over bits in them at all times so don't switch them out often.

But, yes like mentioned above, don't let them bottom out in the collet when you tighten them.

This...
I have 6 of them I think, so I usually always have one stuck. Good ol tap on the collet nut after loosening will work like Klaz mentions
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-07-2020, 01:43 PM)Roly Wrote: I am assuming the bit is sticking in the collet, if this is the case do not bottom out the bit when inserting, pull out a tad then tighten. When you want to remove the bit unloosen and push the bit deeper in the collet then it will pull out.   It may be necessary to tap the bit in with a piece of wood or mallet.  Roly

I would do everything Roly says above, except, I would loosen instead...
sorry, couldn't help it... <grin>
Gents: thanks for your comments. I have been tapping on the collet nut and it works. I was just looking for another solution. Again, thanks.