Next little project?
(05-25-2020, 02:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks to me Greg spoiled the thread. Just the way I see it.

Either way, and despite disagreements on technique, that's no reason not to be civil to each other, there's always more than one way to skin a cat.  That's my only point.  Tit for tat and "last word freak" behavior always ends badly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I was a Gentleman....once, but only by an Act of Congress
Winkgrin

I return as needful.....but do not suffer idiots well....
No 

Too many clamps?

According to some, this is....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I never made box joints myself, especially not by hand. I did try a dovetail once and it came out ok.  I was really just curious why a box joint would need that much to hold it together.  No critique of your technique was intended.
I always place a clamp where I need to apply pressure to close up a gap,   Saying goes that one can not have too many clamps.  
Winkgrin

Problem with box joints is sometimes the fingers will stick out a bit and not allow a caul to work.   Usually, a box joint will need clamp pressure from two directions.

Try this:   use the fingers of both hands, mesh them together like a box joint....Then move one finger where a clamp might be....do the other move with it?
Confused

One could set the clamp so pressure is applied up and down on the corner of the box....but then you'd need one on each corner...and then, how to pull the box into square. 

This "Too many clamps"  thing is just .....BS.
Raised   almost sounds like they never made such a box, before.   
No

I Use the amount of clamps I think are needed, to pull ALL joints tight and square.....and, when one add a bottom to the box, and needs to add clamps the hold that in place, too....

A "forest of clamps" is however many clamps I feel are needed to get to tight and square...before the glue sets up.   Not one more, and not one less. 

YMMV...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.  I'm not sure I have the patience to try box joints by hand.