Alternate Solvent for Shellac
There are many formulas to denature ethanol. Some of these like the stuff at the box stores is toxic because they contain high concentrations of methanol. Other formulas use odors, taste or cause nausea, they are much less toxic. The best I have found is this.
(05-09-2020, 07:57 PM)cputnam Wrote: Given the difficulties associated with getting alcohol let alone stuff at 90%, I am looking for alternate solvents with which to mix up some shellac.  Does the alternate require different ratios than alcohol?

I was also having the same issue (i.e., obtaining alcohol) so I bit the bullet and switched to WB shellac. it was a bit tricky to spray - but it wiped on similar to alcohol based shellac

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/e...ac-sealer/
Thanks for the tip, I'd never heard of the stuff before. Now if they produce a garnet or ruby version I may get really excited.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard