new concrete floor question
New house basement storage area -- LOML says she wants shelves along back wall for plastic tubs to store "stuff" in.

So I'll build some 2x4 and CDX shelves but I'm wondering about the bottom row.  I'll keep the 2x4's a couple of inches above the floor but I'm concerned about trapping moisture under them and having problems in the future.

How long should I let it cure before sealing/painting it? Would a little more space make things better?  (the storage area will have air circulation -- she hates musty basements like her parents had
Rolleyes

Would slats be a better idea to allow air circulation?

Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
If you allow a couple of inches you're golden. that's all you need.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Concrete cures in 28 days. Always has, probably always will.

I would keep the 2x's off the floor for air circulation.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You could also set the bottom right on the concrete, but do it out of slats spaced as far apart as possible and still be in the proper placeing for the tubs to sit on, no need for an actual shelf top. Concrete will do all of the support. This would also allow for circulation
I thought it took about 90 years for concrete to “fully” cure....
VH07V  
Concrete reaches full hardness in 28 days. It can continue to give off it's own moisture for much longer. It can also allow moisture from the ground to permeate thru forever.
(05-10-2020, 12:04 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: How long should I let it cure before sealing/painting it?

It depends on what product you are using. For example, there are curing/ sealing products that can be applied right away. Something like paint you should wait longer. 28 days is the rule of thumb, but concrete cures forever. It's just that after 28 days the rate is so slow that it is usually negligible.
I'd not use a bottom shelf. Kind of a useless use of material. Just use plastic bins or whatever directly on the floor.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry