Your Biggest Tool Purchase Mistakes?
My list:
1) buying my first shop tool group new instead of used
2) Buying an underpowered oscillating tool (the original Fein Multimaster) which couldn't do anything. I've since upgraded to one of their pro versions and it's night and day. 
3) Buying the smaller Festool Circular saw. The bigger one is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL.
toss up between a grizzly drill press or a grizzly jointer. Can't include the grizzly combo sander as it was given to me, otherwise it would be in the running as well.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(05-11-2020, 10:02 AM)Murray M Wrote: My list:
1) buying my first shop tool group new instead of used
2) Buying an underpowered oscillating tool (the original Fein Multimaster) which couldn't do anything. I've since upgraded to one of their pro versions and it's night and day. 
3) Buying the smaller Festool Circular saw. The bigger one is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL.

Really that much difference in the Fein?  I have the original MM, but haven't used a newer version.  Just cuts quicker?
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Buying a large expensive piece of equipment that is an offbrand but a good $ deal only to later have the company go out of business and no longer supported with parts.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
When I decided to buy a table saw, I had very little knowledge of what can be done on that tool other than cutting wood differently from a circular saw. So, instead of buying a saw I could accessorize and improve, I bought a saw that had very good advertising and zero utility. There was a Delta contractor saw sitting next to the saw I bought and, according to the advertising, there was no comparison---the Ryobi BT3000 was THE BEST POSSIBLE TOOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No

I built several things using the saw, burnt out the motor, spent almost the purchase price of the saw replacing the motor, and finally learned. I cut down many 4' by 8' pieces of ply with that saw and roller stands---by myself.  The only good thing about that saw was it was very light and easily moved in and out of the tiny storage shed to use outside.
Never a big purchase that I can remember. Always something small, one of those whizbang-do-it all things.
I bought a stack of sanding disc that sticks to your tablesaw blade. Cut and sand at the same time. Yea right......can't give them away. They will hit the woodstove someday.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-11-2020, 12:06 PM)KLaz Wrote: Really that much difference in the Fein?  I have the original MM, but haven't used a newer version.  Just cuts quicker?

Oh my.
Original: technically it cuts. If you wait long enough. This tool was avoided.
New pro one (which is much more money): cuts like a hot knife through butter. Totally worth the money. I'm actually using it more than my jig saw [almost weekly]. If you work on old houses this is required. No other tool can plunge cut in a fine controlled way like this tool.
(05-11-2020, 02:07 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: When I decided to buy a table saw, I had very little knowledge of what can be done on that tool other than cutting wood differently from a circular saw. So, instead of buying a saw I could accessorize and improve, I bought a saw that had very good advertising and zero utility. There was a Delta contractor saw sitting next to the saw I bought and, according to the advertising, there was no comparison---the Ryobi BT3000 was THE BEST POSSIBLE TOOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No

I built several things using the saw, burnt out the motor, spent almost the purchase price of the saw replacing the motor, and finally learned. I cut down many 4' by 8' pieces of ply with that saw and roller stands---by myself.  The only good thing about that saw was it was very light and easily moved in and out of the tiny storage shed to use outside.

OMG
I so remember that tool.
This forum was nuts for the BT3000
In my relatively short hobby history--i've done pretty well on the things i've bought (much used). It's a few of the things i passed up that were probably poor decisions. Passes up a Delta DJ-20 (8" parallel jointer) for short money, so i've still got my 6". Also--an Excalibur over-arm guard for table saw for $50 or so, waffled for a week and finally called an hour after it sold.
earl
I still have a BT3000.

I can resaw a gnat's wings down the middle with it, although I've customized mine just a bit.

I wouldn't want to use it in a commercial setting, but neither would I want a commercial saw for my shop.