Your Biggest Tool Purchase Mistakes?
(05-17-2020, 05:25 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I also bought one of those, don't know how hany pairs of drawers were soiled beyond cleaning when using it.  There were so many ways the thing was underbuilt, with the cheapest materials, that I'll have nightmares for a week, if I try to remember them all.

Because of this saw, I've never considered a Ryobi tool since.

ROTFLMAO! 
Wink

Doug

P.S. Bought a Ryobi biscuit joiner many years ago. Eventually sold it and bought a PC 557 which I still have and use on occasion. Don't think I ever bought anything else Ryobi.
I have one Ryobi tool. A circular saw. I think it cut maybe two or three two by fours before it started wobbling when it ran.

Don't recall where/how I got it. I should just throw it away. It is THAT bad.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Not to be entirely down on Ryobi, but if anyone has experiences with their current tool line-up, it might be helpful to post your opinions. The radial arm saw I posted about, was purchased in the mid-80's.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-14-2020, 01:06 PM)kroll Wrote: I'm sure someone else has done same thing but mine is PC detail sander

Ah man. I forgot all about that one, and here it came up.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Gave mine to a friend, and he cussed me for 6 months.
Uhoh
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have an old Ryobi orbital sander. That thing will not die. I sanded all the walls of a bathroom with it aside from wood projects and it keeps going. Had to replace the pad a few times though.
(05-21-2020, 05:22 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Not to be entirely down on Ryobi, but if anyone has experiences with their current tool line-up, it might be helpful to post your opinions.  The radial arm saw I posted about, was purchased in the mid-80's.

My first cordless drill was a Ryobi.  I liked it so much, I bought 2 or 3 pair of replacement batteries over the years.  They were only about $25 apiece, in those days.  I used that thing for years and other than the batteries dying, it kept on chugging.  I still have it...someplace.  OTOH, the drill was part of a kit that included a circ saw.  That thing was essentially useless for more than a couple cuts at a time, in plywood.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-22-2020, 09:11 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: the drill was part of a kit that included a circ saw.  That thing was essentially useless for more than a couple cuts at a time, in plywood.

I had a Dewalt 18v circ saw that was the same way when they first came out.  Pretty much useless for anything but breaking down a single sheet in a parking lot.
(05-21-2020, 05:22 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Not to be entirely down on Ryobi, but if anyone has experiences with their current tool line-up, it might be helpful to post your opinions.  The radial arm saw I posted about, was purchased in the mid-80's.

Three.

1) Li-Ion battery pack drill/driver. Had it since they changed to the Li-Ion packs. Got it cheap on intro sale with two batteries. Been a good workhorse for me, but I'm not a heavy duty user. No problems using it all day on a Saturday for deck, fencing, etc. sort of work. 2nd drill at office/lab gets occasional use. No issues, batteries hold charge just fine and the rapid charger seems to exactly that.

2) Circular saw bought just before they switched color schemes (10 years ago?). Again, not an all-day-every-day tool for me. Used for breaking down stock, etc. but now relegated to exterior treated lumber use as I've now got a track-saw for the "good stuff". Other than the stock blade being junk it has been fine. No noticeable run-out, tracks a line just fine using Freud blades. Interesting to me that it doesn't have a safety interlock for the trigger. Induction motor screams on this one.

3) Li-Ion powered angle grinder. Again, right when they were switching color schemes and battery chemistry so this uses the newer Li-Ion batteries but still has the old blue color scheme. Occasional use and it has been fine. Put in a better disk, get better results. But that's the way all angle grinders work.

(edit to add) -- Also bought a 3rd instance of the Li-Ion drill driver in 2011 and it went into a tool kit that shipped ahead of me to the South Pole. Other than you should keep the battery in an inside pocket when not using the driver, it was just fine. We had crated up a lot of equipment and in the one non-wooden-screwed together crate we included a tool kit. So when we finally got our cargo we had everything we needed to open the crates and assemble the wind turbine towers. Easy peasy. On my last trip down in 2017, the drill was still there but had been "claimed" by another group even though it still had our lab initials painted on it. No hardware stores to run and get replacements so that's a pretty common occurrence if you leave handtools behind. Doesn't matter how big of a padlock you put on the toolbox either.
Smile
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Abouy 50 years ago I bought a Craftsman 1/4 sheet pad sander. All it ever did was vibrrate your hand untill it went numb. Totally useless. I have had some Craftsman tools that were worth what you paid. Not top of the line but serviceable. This sander was not one of them
Wagner paint sprayer, it was bad!
VH07V