Restoring a Federal-style Card Table
I believe on Netflix (or was it Prime?), is a UK show, called "The Repair Shop". It repairs all types of vintage items (not just wooden). Generally pretty good, but with he ceramic repairs excellent.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Glad you guys liked it.  Leaving aside his craftsmanship, his style is really relaxing.  He is like the Bob Ross of furniture restoration.
(05-18-2020, 12:29 PM)Ridgeway Wrote: Glad you guys liked it.  Leaving aside his craftsmanship, his style is really relaxing.  He is like the Bob Ross of furniture restoration.

Up until he uses the table saw. Gad, he scares me watching him cut small parts.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(05-18-2020, 08:07 PM)handi Wrote:  Up until he uses the table saw. Gad, he scares me watching him cut small parts.

I don't recall the episode, but he did have a bandage off a finger showing a nip that took off skin and part of his fingernail. His bandsaw habits are worse yet!

Yesterday, I warched hm work on a Queen Ann chair-not much repair work, but his finishing techniques are great to watch. He should do a video just on finishing.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Though not entirely sure, I think his daughter uses a sawstop in her own picture framing business.

Thomas came from a woodworking family that had a different concept and idea about safety. He and his late brother, both restorers, learned from his dad when they were young. Injuries to them/their generation were part of using machines. I recall watching a TV coverage of an Asian owner (Vietnamese?) in which he showed his scarred hand and fingers that he said were cut three times all in all by the tablesaw.

Simon
(05-21-2020, 06:32 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Though not entirely sure, I think his daughter uses a sawstop in her own picture framing business.

Thomas came from a woodworking family that had a different concept and idea about safety. He and his late brother, both restorers, learned from his dad when they were young. Injuries to them/their generation were part of using machines. I recall watching a TV coverage of an Asian owner (Vietnamese?) in which he showed his scarred hand and fingers that he said were cut three times all in all by the tablesaw.

Simon
He’s not much older than I. I cut my fingers on a TS once, 30+ years ago when I was first starting out. 
Learned my lesson, got serious about safety. 

Watching him use a metal awl to push thin parts past the sawblade just gives me the willies!

For the record, I enjoy his videos in general, and have learned a lot about veneering and finishing.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(05-21-2020, 06:37 PM)handi Wrote: He’s not much older than I. I cut my fingers on a TS once, 30+ years ago when I was first starting out. 
Learned my lesson, got serious about safety. 

Watching him use a metal awl to push thin parts past the sawblade just gives me the willies!

For the record, I enjoy his videos in general, and have learned a lot about veneering and finishing.

Not about his age (not over 70 by his looks); it is about his shop upbringing. If his dad used a metal prick day in and day out, he used the same.

But I like seeing him wearing his mask all the time, though, even with the box fan, it might not protect him totally from the finish.

If anyone is still wondering if hide glue/liquid glue is a good thing in furniture making after watching his videos. they should be locked up and banned from entering any shop.
Laugh
Winkgrin

Simon
(05-21-2020, 06:47 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not about his age (not over 70 by his looks); it is about his shop upbringing. If his dad used a metal prick day in and day out, he used the same.

But I like seeing him wearing his mask all the time, though, even with the box fan, it might not protect him totally from the finish.

If anyone is still wondering if hide glue/liquid glue is a good thing in furniture making after watching his videos. they should be locked up and banned from entering any shop.
Laugh
Winkgrin

Simon
Yeah, doing it the same way even after being proven wrong is not really excused by “that’s how I grew up”. I work hard at learning new and better ways all the time.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(05-18-2020, 12:29 PM)Ridgeway Wrote: Glad you guys liked it.  Leaving aside his craftsmanship, his style is really relaxing.  He is like the Bob Ross of furniture restoration.

Unlike many Instagramers, he doesn't promote anything, no fancy, boutique tools or gadgets to sell. He also doesn't act like a clown as his signature style. Just old, solid instructions. "That looks pretty good!"

Simon
Ii've watched well more than a dozen of his videos and have learned quite a bit of his finishing techniques. However, the most important technique he shows is contemplative restraint (and he still starts the next day, on ocassion by saying "well, that didn't turn out how I wanted"!
www.metaltech-pm.com