Good compressor to keep in the truck
I always need air for one thing or another. What is the best unit under $250. I would like it to be big enough to run an impact and a blow gun for cleaning mowers. It can't be huge.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
An impact wrench needs about 5cfm at 90 pounds of pressure.  

A google search show a fair amount of compressors meeting that requirement, but most are much more expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ent=psy-ab

The Harbor Freight quiet line is the only brand that seems to meet your price requirement.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ent=psy-ab

On the other hand, Craigs list might be a good source for these.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Do you want a compressor with it's own engine or something to run off your truck?

For 12V electric air compressors, I would have a Puma or a Viair.

Get a battery powered impact wrench.

And blow guns can be run a much lower pressures than what a compressor will top out at.
(05-13-2020, 12:19 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Do you want a compressor with it's own engine or something to run off your truck?

And blow guns can be run a much lower pressures than what a compressor will top out at.

I have a compressor on the truck so I think I will go 110v. I have tried some 12 volt compressors. They are fine for airing up a tire but they are slow to fill a tank and don't have enough steam to use as a blower.
Have you thought about one that runs off the truck engine.
(05-13-2020, 12:19 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Do you want a compressor with it's own engine or something to run off your truck?

(05-13-2020, 07:12 PM)messmaker Wrote: I have a compressor on the truck so I think I will go 110v. I have tried some 12 volt compressors. They are fine for airing up a tire but they are slow to fill a tank and don't have enough steam to use as a blower.

So your plan is to haul around a compressor, and then plug it in to an available outlet when you need it, where you need it?
My 2019 Silverado has 110v outlets in the cab & the bed … I just bought one of the little "quiet" HF compressors.

It runs just fine pugged into the truck and works great for the nailers (the truck must be running) … should be able to handle other small air tools …

It is VERY quiet ...

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
(05-14-2020, 11:48 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: So your plan is to haul around a compressor, and then plug it in to an available outlet when you need it, where you need it?

I have a GENERATOR in the truck(sorry). I plan to use it to power a 110 compressor if power is not available.
Pulled the trigger. I picked up a small Mcgraw hot dog compressor from HF. It had better #s than anything close. It seems to do well. It will keep 90lbs running a blowgun and is not too loud. It is low maintenance and has a much more pleasant tone than the pancakes I have dealt with.