Weird thing about Oneway spindle steady
The wheels have what looks like silicone rings which contact the wood. I haven’t used this in about two years and when I took it out of the box, the rings had turned into a sticky goo. 
I’m going to call Oneway and ask them about it, but I thought I’d ask about it here too.

What would cause something like that to happen?
VH07V  
(05-13-2020, 04:43 PM)EightFingers Wrote: The wheels have what looks like silicone rings which contact the wood. I haven’t used this in about two years and when I took it out of the box, the rings had turned into a sticky goo. 
I’m going to call Oneway and ask them about it, but I thought I’d ask about it here too.

Ive had that happen here with similar items - my research showed it was the humidity.

I havent checked my oneway spindle steady (been in a box for a couple years) but I will tomorrow.  Wont surprise me if it is like yours

Let me know what OneWay says please
Oneway 3280??

Mine is fine. Has not been stored in a box. It sits on my lathe table. 12-15 years old maybe? Not sure.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Extended time in the heat does it. You can't fix it. You'll need to replace the wheels. They are essentially rollerblade wheels and you should be able to find replacement wheels easily online. Oneway probably charges a lot more if you buy the replacement wheels from them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-13-2020, 04:43 PM)EightFingers Wrote: The wheels have what looks like silicone rings which contact the wood. I haven’t used this in about two years and when I took it out of the box, the rings had turned into a sticky goo. 

My spindle steady fixture has orange plastic wheels.  My bowl steady fixture has roller blade type wheels.  Both have been around for nearly 20 years, never in a box, and seem fine.  

Are you sure the "silicone rings" belong on your spindle steady?   Might be an "improvement" mine doesn't have because of its age, though.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MM has a good point. Are we talking something that is over the wheel, or the wheel itself? Oneway's pics of their bowl steady just has the translucent wheel contacting the wood.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just a couple of random thoughts here.  Can you take the wheels off the steady rest and use a jig and buff the offending material off the wheels?
When I make toy wheels, I have a piece of wood with a dowel spindle in it I slip the wheel onto and then to the belt sander and spin it round.
Happens I made a steady rest a few months ago and I used outdoor rollerblade wheels on it, got a pack of 8 for in the $20-$30 range.  Have not used it a lot so far, but I have used it and it's been working fine.
Talked to Oneway today and the woman I talked to never heard of the rings going soft. She said they are clear urethane so the work isn’t marked. These are “o” rings that fit in grooves on the wheels. They’re designed to be replaceable. Cost with shipping for the six would be $20.

The bowl steady has the roller skate type wheels and I’ve never had a problem with that.

One piece of the o ring was on the floor and I accidentally stepped on it. It was just like stepping on a piece of bubblegum. It was very difficult to remove.
VH07V  
I have orange wheels (1"? wide) on my steady rest. Apparently they have changed?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I doubt it. The woman at Oneway said the ones I have are the most recent.
BTW, what I’m talking about is the spindle steady, not the bowl steady
VH07V