21 Gauge Pin Nailer
Is anyone here using a 21 Gauge pin nailer? If so, do you find it useful? How do you like it? What brand do you have? Are you using the pins with heads or headless pins?
TIA.

Hank
(05-14-2020, 02:05 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Is anyone here using a 21 Gauge pin nailer? If so, do you find it useful? How do you like it? What brand do you have? Are you using the pins with heads or headless pins?
TIA.

Hank

I have a GREX (actually it is 23 ga.). I use it primarily on home improvement projects - not so much for furniture. But I do find it useful.
I have a Porter Cable 23 ga, headless pin nailer.  Didn't know 21 gauge was even available until this post.

I use it mostly for small moldings.  Holds things in place that may be difficult to clamp, until the glue dries.  For general woodworking and craft type stuff, I use it far more than my 18 ga brad nailer.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Agree with the othere re: usefullness of a 23 ga pinner. Use my PC all the time for a variety of things, pins nearly disappear in unpainted surfaces. I've also used it to align surfaces to be glued by driving pins intentionally proud, then snip them off just above the surface with small dikes. Provides a grip between the sufaces so they don't slide around with the wet glue.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(05-15-2020, 08:06 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I have a Porter Cable 23 ga, headless pin nailer.  Didn't know 21 gauge was even available until this post.

I use it mostly for small moldings.  Holds things in place that may be difficult to clamp, until the glue dries.  For general woodworking and craft type stuff, I use it far more than my 18 ga brad nailer.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I too have a PC 23 gauge that I use mostly for holding moldings, etc. The nails sink pretty deep into the wood which makes it easy to sand over and hide them.
I have a 21 and a 23. I rarely use the 21 so if you are getting it for a heavier fastener, rock on. If you are looking for a pinner, a 23 gauge that shoots headed and headless would be my recommendation. I have a Grex. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a Harbor Freight $25 one I bought in a pinch years ago. Still works fine, just doesn't have the elegant features like rear exiting port, rubber tips and all that jazz. I find having something between 18 gauge and 23 gauge not super useful. Too bad I have so many 21 gauge pins . . . literally thousands ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(05-15-2020, 02:40 PM)GeeDub Wrote: I have a 21 and a 23. I rarely use the 21 so if you are getting it for a heavier fastener, rock on. If you are looking for a pinner, a 23 gauge that shoots headed and headless would be my recommendation. I have a Grex. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a Harbor Freight $25 one I bought in a pinch years ago. Still works fine, just doesn't have the elegant features like rear exiting port, rubber tips and all that jazz. I find having something between 18 gauge and 23 gauge not super useful. Too bad I have so many 21 gauge pins . . . literally thousands ;-)

Thanks for the information. My interest in the 21 gauge Pinner is because of the tiny headed pins. I was not aware that you could get 23 gauge pins with heads. I have a Senco 23 gauge Pinner of which I'm not fond. It doesn't bury the pins very well. Grex wasn't available when I bought the Senco. I wish it had been. I understand they do a better job of just about everything, especially burying the pins. I have two Senco 18 gauge brad guns. Both do an excellent job. If I can find headed 23 gauge pins, I might look at a Grex to replace the Senco pinner instead of getting a 21 gauge gun.
Besides the trim work I also use it for attaching templates.  The holes are so small you can't see them once finish is put on.  I suspect that the 21 ga would be just about the same.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Are these the headed 23 gauge pins? https://www.amazon.com/CADEX-Gauge-Sligh...B000P0Y7JU

They are described as having "slight heads". I don't know which guns work: most of the Amazon review comments are favorable, but one said they jammed, without specifying which gun.