concrete screws
I'll be starting to build a greenhouse for LOML which will be secured to our patio. I'm planning to secure the walls with blue concrete screws. I used these about 20 years ago but don't remember if pilot holes are necessary. Your updated experience is appreciated. (BTW, the greenhouse will be secured to our patio, not LOML 
Winkgrin ) 

Jim
Yes, Tapcons need pilot holes. Sizing is very important.
(05-15-2020, 11:50 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'll be starting to build a greenhouse for LOML which will be secured to our patio. I'm planning to secure the walls with blue concrete screws. I used these about 20 years ago but don't remember if pilot holes are necessary. Your updated experience is appreciated. (BTW, the greenhouse will be secured to our patio, not LOML 
Winkgrin ) 

Jim

The ones I used required holes, but no anchors.  They also instructed not to screw into the brick mortar, but into the brick itself. 

For my money, as long as I have to drill the holes, I might as well use anchors and screws.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Tapcons are the brand I'm familiar with from the BORG. They require a pilot hole and IMHO a good impact driver to torque them down.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
If you have a lot of holes to drill in concrete, invest in an SDS rotary hammer (Bosch Bulldog for example). It will make your life sooo much easier. My shop has poured concrete walls. I bought an entry level Bosch rotary hammer years ago and it is one of the best tool purchases I've ever made. I'll bet I have a couple of hundred Tapcons in my shop walls, not to mention elsewhere around the house. There's no comparison between drilling holes in concrete with a rotary hammer and drilling with a regular drill or even a hammer drill. Piece of cake.
(05-15-2020, 12:52 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: If you have a lot of holes to drill in concrete, invest in an SDS rotary hammer (Bosch Bulldog for example). It will make your life sooo much easier. My shop has poured concrete walls. I bought an entry level Bosch rotary hammer years ago and it is one of the best tool purchases I've ever made. I'll bet I have a couple of hundred Tapcons in my shop walls, not to mention elsewhere around the house. There's no comparison between drilling holes in concrete with a rotary hammer and drilling with a regular drill or even a hammer drill. Piece of cake.
I'll be anchoring 8' and 12' walls to the concrete patio. What should the spacing be for Tapcons? I have a heavy duty craftsman 1/2" drill that has been my go to guy for over 30 years for this kind of work. Since I'll only have 4 walls I'm hoping that'll do the job. I do have a PC impact driver that I got several years ago in a set at good price from the PX. I might give that a try finally.

Thanks everyone.

Jim
(05-15-2020, 02:10 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'll be anchoring 8' and 12' walls to the concrete patio. What should the spacing be for Tapcons? I have a heavy duty craftsman 1/2" drill that has been my go to guy for over 30 years for this kind of work. Since I'll only have 4 walls I'm hoping that'll do the job. I do have a PC impact driver that I got several years ago in a set at good price from the PX. I might give that a try finally.

Thanks everyone.

Jim

Beg, borrow, buy, rent or steal a hammer drill like the Bulldog...You may be there for a month of Sundays drilling cast in place concrete. If drilling block, the Bulldog, or equal is better, but standard hammer drill will usually suffice...
Besides, in my experience, the longer you take to drill a hole, the more likely the diameter will increase, thus reducing the holding power of the tapcon type fastener...
As always, YMMV

Also, a common mistake in drilling in concrete is to push on the drill too much...Let the percussion action of the drill bit do its work, just guide it, don't lean on it...
Be sure and drill the correct holes for those Tapcons. They break fairly easy if the hole is not correct, or you hit a rock in the concrete.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-15-2020, 02:10 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'll be anchoring 8' and 12' walls to the concrete patio. What should the spacing be for Tapcons?

I assume you're talking about anchoring the bottom wall plate to the concrete slab. In that case, you need fasteners 6" to 8" from each corner and also spaced 36" to 48" apart between the corners. Be careful to avoid putting them where the wall studs will anchor to the plate. Normally fasteners for attaching the plate to the slab are sturdier than Tapcons. You might consider using Hilti bolts instead of Tapcons. I'm not a construction engineer, so you might want to get other advice on this, but I'd opt for strong rather than easy. People more experienced than I am might tell you Tapcons will be fine.

P.S. If you go looking for a different drill for the concrete work, be sure to look for a rotary hammer. This is a different technology from an ordinary hammer drill and it works a lot better and faster in concrete than a hammer drill. They'er not the same. The Bosch Bulldog that I mentioned in my original reply is an SDS Rotary Hammer. Bosch (and many others) also makes hammer drills; but you want a rotary hammer, not a hammer drill. You can rent them if you decide you need one and don't want to shell out the cash to buy one.
Tapcons come with a drill bit, they're junk. Buy a pack of good ones before you leave the store. Since you'll be drilling thru the sill plate, get long ones.

A good hammerdrill or rotary hammer is a must.

Blow the holes out after drilling.

Install with an impact driver.

Ed