Siding question for new house
SWMBO has picked three options for siding on new house -- insulated vinyl, "Hardiboard" type siding, or uninsulated vinyl.

Big question is about the premium "insulated" vinyl -- is it worth the extra money (3x !!!) ?  What differences will we notice over 20 years?

What problems/advantages will "Hardiboard" type siding give us over "good" uninsulated vinyl siding?

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Not an expert, but here is my 2 cents.

I doubt there is much insulating value, but that should be easy to find online.

It might make it a little stronger since it won't be hollow.
(05-15-2020, 08:44 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: SWMBO has picked three options for siding on new house -- insulated vinyl, "Hardiboard" type siding, or uninsulated vinyl.

Big question is about the premium "insulated" vinyl -- is it worth the extra money (3x !!!) ?  What differences will we notice over 20 years?

What problems/advantages will "Hardiboard" type siding give us over "good" uninsulated vinyl siding?

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

with an R value of around 2-3, i would skip it and go with just premium vinyl.

i dont know any problems advantages to hardiboard. shouldnt be any problems when installed properly. needs to be painted. its a plus if down the road  you....err...SWMBO decides on a color change.
We have Hardiboard clapboard siding on the house and shop building. I think it provides a much neater look than most vinyl siding jobs. Of course, most vinyl siding I've seen is a retrofit with lots of J channel and poor fits.
But a well-done vinyl job can look great. We had Certainteed Monogram installed in 1997. Looks like it was installed yesterday.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I thought we hashed out your siding months ago.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Insulated siding is for rigidity not so much R values. Siding without it bends so easily and looks cheap. Hardiboard looks like wood but also has seems too so they stand out as well. Good luck I anm putting on Certenteed this year insulated.
John T.
Don't see any real advantage to insulated vinyl.

High end premium siding looks great.

Hardiboard looks great too but will have to be painted and re-caulked someday. It does require maintenance.

If I could pick any and money was no object, it would be the hardiboard. Looks great, good sound deadening qualities, durable etc..
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-16-2020, 08:19 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I thought we hashed out your siding months ago.

SWMBO looked at the $$$$ again.  
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
There is a TV show called "My Big Beach Builds" and owner of the construction company, Marnie Oursler, only uses cedar or Hardie board siding, with the cement siding getting the nod for lower maintenance.  That is for seaside construction.

In other areas it might not be as much of a factor.  If you get the vinyl buy a few extra sheets and store it outdoors so that it fades at the same rate as the installed siding does.  That way if there is ever any damage you can make "invisible" repairs. 

I believe that the cement board is more expensive.  Cedar looks nice, and it is what I used on the addition to my house.  I installed the cedar with stainless steel narrow crown staples.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.